Sunday, February 24, 2013

You've Gotta Be KKKidding

You may have heard about this story by now.  This is the high school I graduated from.  Not cool.

Previously, on a national scale, the coolest random fact about RRHS was that Mac wore one of our t-shirts on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.  Now we'll be known for a couple of idiots dressing up like friggin' Klan members.





I can remember back in the good ol' days, when I spent most of my high school career trying to BE black, when we willingly spent our free time on projects like this:







Anyway, back to the current controversy, questions abound:  Did these kids really know what they were doing?  Is it possible, MAYBE, that they don't know what those hoods represent?  Or did they just watch Django Unchained and saw this scene and thought that KKK hoods were fair game for jokes?  I have a hard time believing that any group of ordinary high school kids, anywhere, having knowledge of exactly what those hoods stand for, could think that this was anything other than the worst idea ever.  Emphasis on ordinary high school kids; I could possibly see something like this happening in Mississippi, or among a faction of Neo-Nazis-- but I've never seen a radical militant group that cared much about the state hockey tournament.

But however you slice it, there's no explanation that makes me feel good as a human being.  Either some extremely misguided assholes made an extremely misguided joke (in which case they should be expelled or get their asses kicked or both) or there are some extremely ignorant high school kids in North Dakota right now.  Either way, I'm not very proud to be a Red River High School alum today.