Saturday, January 5, 2013

That Ace Could Not Have Helped You

The other night Teens, Hendo, Willis and I were at Six Mile Tavern after the KU game and met Bird and Kaylee, both of whom are much younger than most of us.  After we had been there for awhile, Kaylee made a comment about how the clientele was a little bit on the older side.  To me, Six Mile doesn't have the feel of an "old person" bar.  There are no sad old men bellying up at 10am to drink their lives away all day.  It's not strictly a Happy Hour bar, where the atmosphere immediately starts dying down after 7 or 8 pm.  I think the oldest song I heard played was either Michael Jackson or Hall & Oates, and there was plenty of Tupac, Lil' Jon, Muse, and even some Gangnam Style (I held out for so long and didn't listen to that song, but I finally broke down a couple weeks ago, and now I'm part of the ONE BILLION people who have watched that youtube video.  It's not so bad.)

But as I looked around, I realized Kaylee was right-- for every table of college kids, there were at least two tables of people in their forties and up.  I hadn't even noticed; I guess the average age of the patrons doesn't even register for me now when I go to a bar.  And it immediately reminded me of Matt Damon's opening line from Rounders (which, coincidentally, is one of the greatest opening lines in movie history, but that's a list for another day):

"Listen, here's the thing.  If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table...then you ARE the sucker."


Listen, here's the thing.  If you sit down at a bar and don't notice it's an older crowd in the first half hour....then you are part of the older crowd.  In Teddy KGB voice:  "Eeet hurts, doesn't eet?  All your dreams?  Boop!  Dyashed.  Hopes down the fahking drain."  OK, enough flirting with it, let's just all watch the final hand of Rounders together.