Tuesday, January 29, 2013

My Mom Hates Black People

Little background info:  I lent my parents my collection of The Wire DVDs.  Both of them enjoy that style of show, my Dad grew up in Baltimore, it's the best show in TV history....I thought they would fly through it.  In a true contrast between people in their late 20's and people in their late 50's...that has not exactly happened.  Last year, Teens and I finished all five seasons in about three weeks.  My parents have now had my DVDs for about 9 months-- and they'd still only be on Season 2 or 3, except I've started bugging my Moms lately to hurry up and finish the series so I can loan it to somebody else (note:  I don't have multiple Moms, I just like to say it and spell it like I'm a member of Run DMC or something.) 

Maybe if my parents weren't so busy watching quality shows like Two and a Half Men and calling in their votes for Dancing with the Stars, maybe they could get through The Wire a little faster, but that's neither here nor there.

Anyway, here was my update on their progress:

Me:  So how's The Wire going?

Moms:  Pretty good, we're about to finish season 4.  It's been a lot better since I figured out I can turn the subtitles on!  I can barely understand what they're saying half the time.

Me:  What?!?!  Whaddya mean, YOU PEOPLE?

Moms:  What are you talking about?  I didn't even use the phrase 'you people'.  I just have trouble understanding the slang on that show sometimes.

Me:  Oh snaps!  Omar comin', yo!

Moms:  OK, I'll talk to you later then.