Wednesday, June 6, 2012

To Answer A Popular Question:


I had to disable comments for the time being because spammers have taken over the comments sections of blog posts from years ago, and I get an email every time a comment comes in.  So I was getting like 30-40 emails a day that were either A) gibberish computer code; 2) links or advertisements for boner medicine; or D) something that looked like Easy E typed it at 4am after 19 Morgan OJ's (I knew it wasn't him, though, since he didn't finish the comment by saying 'weak sauce'.)  So I'll see if sitting the next couple of plays out makes the spammers go away, then we'll try enabling comments again.  Or as Lane summed it up:  "So you're punishing everybody because you're too lazy to read a few emails every day.  Real cool."  Well put.  And very true.

**************** 

Random thoughts, so I at least kill more than just 30 seconds of your work day today:

>>  The Avengers was a pretty kick-ass movie, even though the only character's movie I had seen prior was Iron Man.  Still pretty awesome.  However, the best random part was at the very end of the movie, in the obligatory "let's show a quick clip of the news to tell the audience how the public is reacting to the aftermath of the battle between superheros and other-worldy monsters that completely obliterated Manhattan" scene.  And who was the government figure giving his monologue?  Mr. James Eckhouse, aka Jim Walsh from Beverly Hills, 90210.  Teens and I nearly jumped out of our seats and yelled at each other in unison: "Jimbo Walsh!!!" which I'm sure went over well with the other moviegoers.  I'm sure you had to be there, but it was awesome.  So now I've seen Jimbo Walsh in exactly four things in my life: in a 15-second speaking role in The Avengers, as a background guy on vacation when Tom Cruise is bartending in Jamaica in Cocktail, as Eddie Murphy's jail cell guard in Trading Places....and as one of the greatest TV dads in history in 90210.  What a career.  What a guy.  Jimbo Fucking Walsh.



Here's Jimbo giving Tom Cruise his best "Yo, Jerry Maguire, I could use a fresh marg down here, I'm about to close on this broad in the two-piece, but I need a couple more to seal the deal, so let's keep them fucking coming, Top Gun" look.  Basically putting on an acting clinic, like usual.  Some people don't need to have lines to impact a movie.



>>  During Game 5 the other night, I took the next step in my Oklahoma City Thunder bandwagon jumping, a process that has been ongoing since 2008:  while watching the game in a bar, I was jumping out of my chair and yelling at the refs/pumping my fists/cursing Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker's flop show/putting up the three goggles after big three pointers/making a scene in general.  I can officially say that James Harden is my favorite non-Jayhawk basketball player ever, and that I love OKC more than any other NBA team since the '99 New York Knicks.  Big steps for me.

>>  Who feels older:  Adam Sandler, for starring in a movie in which he plays Andy Samberg's dad?  Or me, for being in 5th grade when Sandler's comedy CDs were the funniest thing around?  Seems like just yesterday that we had to listen in my bedroom with the volume turned way down so my parents didn't hear Sandler scream things like "Owwww, fuck me in the goat ass!" or "Pretend I'm the pizza delivery guy and watch me whack off" as we rolled on the floor in laughing hysterics.  It's a toss-up, really.