Friday, June 15, 2012

Things I Think About During Songs. Volume 5.

I am obsessed with the play count on my itunes.  I'm constantly checking the top 25, top 50, top 100, etc.  I love looking at all the different statistics since I got my current computer six years ago.  Lord help you if you're riding in my car and you try to skip a song once it's already halfway done-- by that point it has 'earned' its play count, and needs to be played all the way through.  Just total OCD behavior.  I have a bunch of playlists that are songs grouped by a certain number of plays, then the playlist is titled by something relating to that number of plays.  (Examples: a playlist with a bunch of songs with 25 plays is titled "Bobby Bonillas"; a playlist with a bunch of songs with 13-16 plays is titled "Lizzie McGuires"; etc. etc.)

So I love finding little oddities in the play counts.  "Anna Sun" has only been on my itunes for about 16 months, but is already my 14th most played song.  'Fool in the Rain' is my favorite song of all time, but only my 22nd-most played.  I only know of about six songs by The Toadies total, couldn't name a single member of their band, don't know anything else about them....and two of their songs are in my top 5 most-played.  And so on.

However, I discovered this a couple of days ago, and it has to be the biggest upset in my itunes:  the MC Hammer song that has the highest play count is not "U Can't Touch This" and it's not "2 Legit 2 Quit", and it's not even one of the lesser known but still popular hits like "Here Comes The Hammer" or "The Addams Family Groove".....it's "Do Not Pass Me By." 

That's really effing bizarre.