Monday, March 17, 2008

The Longest Three Days Of My Life Begin Now


Kyle and I made the short trek into Kansas City to watch the Big 12 Championship yesterday. It was, simply put, the best basketball game I've ever seen in person. Just a couple of teams hitting every shot they put up. D.J. Augustin is ridiculously good. Chalmers and Rush were unbelievable. Sasha is the man now in his newfound role of....not having to be the man. It was good for KU to win a tough, close game against a quality opponent. The only negative of the day was the lack of alcohol being sold in the Sprint Center. Lame...I was looking forward to the difficult decision of whether or not I was sober enough to navigate downtown KC and 35 miles of I-70 successfully. For the record, I would've been able to do it. Lots more thoughts on that game but no time. Knee jerk reactions to the brackets:

KU gets a great draw for the first time since I can remember. It seems like every year they get F'd somehow by the committee (last year it was being the one seed, yet having to play 2 seed UCLA in the elite 8 in San Jose. Have fun playing Texas in Houston this year, Memphis.)

That award, however, goes to Carolina. They got screwed pretty good, considering they're supposed to be the #1 overall seed. Tennessee/Louisville in the Elite 8, Indiana/Arkansas in the second round, not easy games. But at least they get to play in-state the whole time. Either way, fuck you Roy. I hope there is not a Carolina/KU final 4 matchup, for as fun as that matchup would be, some of my oldest friendships may be crushed in the aftermath. Just kidding....kind of. Is that bad?

Did anyone else see the look on Bobby Knight's face after Dickie V suggested that Knight take back his old job at Indiana, and hire Dickie V and Digger as his assistants? Classic. +4 bonus points for Bobby....which he promptly gave back by predicting Pittsburgh would go all the way. Good lord. Oh yeah and then Dickie V picked UNC as his champ. Weird. Looks like his Carolina/Duke coin came up heads this year. East is hardest region top-to-bottom, West is easiest (UCLA will walk to the Final 4) and South has most potential to be scary (I wouldn't want to play Pittsburgh or Texas right now.)

For the first time in my life, I may have all four 1 seeds going to the Final Four. I know it's gay, but I've been saying since last April that UNC, UCLA, KU, and Memphis were the four best teams in the country. I can't help it if I was right, bitches. Rock Chalk.