Friday, June 29, 2007

A Rough Draft Of The Draft


NBA draft night is always one of mine and Danny's favorite nights, as it combines his love of the NBA with my love of college ball. Thank you Danny for getting back to town so we could enjoy our umpteenth draft in a row together. Thank you Shawn for representing the Sonics, and Chris for representing Golden State, with old-school NBA apparel from Danny's closet. With all the good players taken and quite a few big names traded, the draft didn't disappoint. As a bonus, for the second year in a row, the Knicks seem to be moving in the right direction. Here is one man's humble breakdown.

Things I loved:
The Knicks getting Randolph while getting rid of Francis and his huge salary. Losing Frye pissed me off initially, but his lack of improvement from year 1 to year 2 was noticeable.

The T'Wolves drafting Corey Brewer. I think guys like Brewer are relatively bust-proof, because if absolutely nothing else, he will be a defensive stud. And I don't think he will have a problem scoring at the next level.

The Brandan Wright trade (from Golden State's perspective.) Fits exactly what they needed. Plus the word is that it could be a lead-in to a trade for Yi, who fits their team even better.

The Hawks' draft. Never thought I would write that in my lifetime. They got the third-best player at the 3 spot with Horford (as opposed to last year when they got probably the 19th-best in the 5 spot with Shelden Williams) and still got their point guard with Law in the 11 spot. The future could finally be bright in Atlanta.
Josh McRoberts falling all the way to Portland #37. I had money on Minny at #41.
Things I liked:

Portland's draft. This would've been something I loved....until they drafted McGayberts. Still, getting Oden, Rudy Fernandez, whose grainy European footage had Danny, Shawn, Chris and I (repping Julian below) pretty excited, and Channing Frye is not a bad night.

Julian going to New Orleans. I figured he was going somewhere in the 9-16 range. I was deathly afraid of him going to Sacramento, Atlanta, Philly, or the Clippers. I would've liked to see the Bulls or the Wizards, and I was cool with New Orleans and Detroit. So I'm fine, and don't have to deal with the awkward 'Chicago has my two favorite players but the Knicks are my team' scenario.
Sean Williams for the Nets. That risk will pay off. He is one of the scariest defensive players I've ever seen in college. Just a monster.

Things I hated:
Noah to the Bulls. First, from my selfish perspective, I hate that one of my least favorite players, ever, is going to a sweet up-and-coming team that features my hero as its point guard. Secondly, from a basketball perspective, they already have Ben Wallace, who can rebound and defend but can't score, and they already have Tyrus Thomas, who brings energy, youth, and hustle but can't score. So what does Noah bring to this team? Besides shitty hair, I mean.

Milwaukee drafting Yi. Not only did he not work out for you, Milwaukee, but he prevented you from coming to watch him work out. He DOES NOT WANT TO PLAY FOR YOU. Milwaukee is like the nerdy kid who continually asks out the hottest girl in school. She lets him down easy at first, then is a little firmer about it, and now it's leading to Yi throwing a carton of milk in Milwaukee's face and screaming "Get a life, you loser!!!" as the entire school watches.

Aaron Brooks to the Rockets. Please someone tell me how that makes sense for them.

The Spurs having another great draft. Tiago Splitter will end up being a great role player for them in a few years, and Marcus Williams was a typical San Antonio steal at #33. Fuckin' Spurs.
Things I Am Too Scared To Offer An Opinion About:

The whole Boston/Seattle trade. I definitely like two of my top four favorite players playing on the same team (Allen and Pierce) but did it help Boston that much? Allen is getting up in years. However, in the East....
....And from Seattle's side, they had to trade Allen, and they got a good pick for him, but I think #5 might have been too high for Jeff Green. Plus they had to take on Wally, who is so gay he should've gone to Duke. But Green could definitely turn out to be stud. Hence the too scared to commit to a strong opinion here. One thing's for sure, I am a fan of the Celtics now.

The Knicks' pick of Wilson Chandler. I haven't seen him play much, and it seemed like #23 was too high, but I certainly know better than to argue with Isaiah's drafting skills.
My Favorite Second Round Picks Of College Studs:

Glen Davis to Boston (though I was hoping the Knicks, giving them the fattest frontcourt EVER with Randolph, Curry, Jerome James and Big Baby;) Derrick Byars to Philly; JamesOn Curry to Chicago; D.J. Strawberry to Phoenix; and finally, Sun Yue to the Lakers. Just kidding. It really says something if not even Danny knows a single thing about a draft prospect.