Friday, February 21, 2014

May The Links Be With You



 At any given time, Star Wars is never too far from the front of my mind.  If my brain was a bus, it would kinda be like Rosa Parks that way.  It doesn't care what civil injustices are prevalent at the moment, or whether or not the timing is appropriate within the accepted societal niceties-- it's not going to sit at the back of the bus.  But even by these standards, these last few weeks have been ridiculous.  During my snow days a couple weeks back, I played Star Wars video games for so long that I was having nightly dreams about the Cloud City level.  And since then, I've stumbled into three different links on the interwebs, each one more awesome than the last.

(I know I'm good for one of these Star Wars link-fest posts roughly every year or so, alienating all my friends who make fun of me for being a nerd, but what can I say?  The internet has a lot of Star Wars fan fiction out there.  Sorry for partying.)

- First was this site, which illustrates Star Wars characters as stereotypical high school students in the 1980's.  Even if you hate Star Wars, you can probably appreciate this one, as long as you appreciate sketch drawings and/or 80's fashion.

- Then there's this one, which re-imagines all the NFL team helmets as Star Wars teams.  Even if you hate Star Wars, you can probably appreciate this one, as long as you appreciate football and/or logo artwork.

(My thoughts:  The Titans one is pretty sweet, we got a good draw here with Boba Fett.  My top 5 in some order is probably Denver, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Carolina, and Buffalo.  Also, Pittsburgh's is awesome, if only because any time I was justifying betting on Pittsburgh and referencing their opponent, I would get to dust off the line "They're no match for Droidekas....")





- Lastly, an article that Tupac was in talks to play Samuel L. Jackson's role of Mace Windu in the prequels.  Even if you hate Star Wars, you can probably appreciate this one, unless you don't respect Black History Month and/or hate rap music.

I don't even care how true that story may or may not be.  If I would've heard this rumor back in 1996, instead of almost 20 years after the fact, my head might've exploded.  Talk about finding something right in my wheelhouse.  If you took a cross-section of my interests at that point of my life, I'd be hard-pressed to come up with a better combination.  Maybe Kelly Kapowski getting a basketball scholly at KU?  Sega Genesis releasing a video game where the object is to not talk to any girls at a 7th grade dance, then to sneak outside the gymnasium to smoke cigar butts you stole from your dad's ashtray? 

Frickin' Tupac playing a frickin' Jedi.   Dare to dream big.  Glad my google image search paid off too.  Never change, internet.  Never change.