Monday, December 2, 2013

Made With Bits Of Real Panther, So You Know It's Good

The person delivering this newscast is one of my best friends. No, not Ron Burgundy, the other one.





I don't even know how many times Amber and I watched Anchorman together back in the day-- I do know that the only person I watched it with more than her is Paul (obvs.) When we heard there was going to be a sequel, we discussed the logistics of going to the movie at the exact same time, three states apart, and putting each other on speakerphone and watching the movie "together." If you would have told me back in 2005 that someday I would watch Amber and Will Ferrell deliver the news together, my head would've exploded. (Actually, that's not true. If you would've told me this story back at that exact time in my life, when all I did was speak in Anchorman catchphrases, I would've paused, put on my best Ron Burgundy voice, smirked, and said "I don't believe you."  And if you assured me it was true, THEN maybe my head would've exploded.) I'm still struggling to comprehend that this actually happened to one of my friends, to be honest.

I've been struggling to come up with what the comparable scenario would be in my own life. I play a round of golf with Phil Mickelson and it's televised? Bill Self decides to start me at small forward in KU's next game?  I do a cameo on The Wire?  The kicker is that this is Amber's job, and she was still expected to deliver the news. So maybe the best comparison would be me working on amortization schedules along with Tiffani Thiessen in character as Kelly Kapowski, or maybe presenting budget projections for the spring semester while Dave Chappelle cracks jokes in my ear. I don't know how Amber kept it (relatively) together, so a tip of the hat to her on that one.

Great news story. Compelling and rich.