Monday, September 9, 2013

Grand Theft Vanessa, Manny Being Manny, & The Nostalgia Therein




Remember this video? With the driving piano and whatnot? I certainly do, because I had a thing for Vanessa Carlton, and this song was playing the first time I ever got laid** so it will always have a special place deep down in my soul. (Then again, we also listened to John Mayer during that magical session when two hearts beat as one for the first time, and that guy fucking sucks. So whatever, I guess.)

Anyway, now that your memory is refreshed, watch this:




There are things in life that get me giggling, and then my laughter snowballs until I can't control it any longer and it gets embarrassing. Sometimes these things aren't really that funny. In high school, Haley and Lane liked to call me Phil, as in Phil from The Tom Green Show, as in the guy who just sat in the background and laughed at everything.

Sometimes it's pretty easy to make me laugh. Sometimes I'm like the quiet sophomore with an enormous crush on the quarterback of the football team, and I bat my eyes and laugh at all his jokes because I desperately want him to notice me, and eventually fingerblast me in the back of his pickup truck. I kinda have the feeling that this video might be one of those things that maybe isn't as funny as I thought it was.

All that said, I giggled for the entire three minutes and fifty-five seconds of this video, so you should at least get a solid 30-45 seconds of enjoyment.

**Fun story: a couple years ago, this song came on the jukebox while we were out playing trivia in a bar. I made a comment about my first serious girlfriend, and how it was "our song." Then, for some reason (hint: beer) I did some weird Sammy Sosa-after-a-home-run-thing with my hands, and pointed to the sky. Of course, none of my Kansas friends know Molly, so an awkward silence fell over the table, and lasted for a few minutes. Finally I asked why everyone was being so quiet and weird, and they said something to the effect of "Well, you just brought up your dead ex-girlfriend, whom you've never mentioned before, out of nowhere, so we didn't know how to respond." I assured them I was just being dumb, Molly was alive and well, and I meant my hand gesture as a tribute to our past love, and we all had a good laugh. Now we'll play that song on the jukebox all the time, raise our glasses in a toast, and yell things like "R.I.P. Molly!" and "I'll never stop loving you!"





***************



While searching for an appropriate video of Sammy Sosa doing his hand-kissing and pointing routine, I stumbled into this video of Manny Ramirez doing all the ridiculous things that he does. After my initial excitement at the video (when I wrote this post back in the day, I searched forever for video evidence of one of my favorite Manny Moments ever and couldn't find anything. Finally, at the :46 mark of this video, paydirt!) when it ended I realized how much I missed Manny and got kinda bummed out. It's been five full years now since the Red Sox traded Manny, and there's still a hole in my heart.

Bottom line, I don't know what made me more nostalgic: the first girl I ever loved, or some Dominican guy who always fucked up running the bases and once pissed in the Green Monster during a pitching change. It's a toss-up, really.