Monday, June 3, 2013

Disabled List

I was going to write a longer post about my knee injury, but I thought DVJS already did a wonderful job giving details here.  Long story short: unless I tear the meniscus further and require surgery, wearing a knee brace and regular rehab-type exercises is part of my athletic life now.  You know that broken-down old dude you see in the corner of the Rec Center gym, doing 45 minutes of weird exercises just to play a couple games of pickup basketball?  That's me now.  At age 30.  Fuck, man.  This is probably foolish, but I'm going to at least talk to my buddy Zim (physical therapist) to see what could happen I don't wear the knee brace, "try" to tear the meniscus further, and then get surgery so it's fixed.  I know that sounds stupid, but it also sounds stupid to me that this injury isn't bad enough to need surgery, but yet I have to run around with a knee brace the rest of my life like it's 1948?  C'mon now.  Let's use the technology.

The one funny thing in all this is the new nickname I've picked up at the office.  When I sit at my desk for long stretches, then try to stand up and walk, my knee is all kinds of jacked up, and I limp and hobble pretty heavily.  But after I walk around for a bit, I loosen up and feel better, and can walk with more or less a normal gait.  So in a stroke of genius, one of the grad students started calling me Keyser Soze.  Well played, bro.





That video totally just spoiled the ending of The Usual Suspects, by the way.  But seriously, if you hadn't seen that movie yet, you were probably never going to.  If you're upset about the fact I just ruined the twist ending of a movie from like 20 years ago, you can come to Kansas and punch me in the left meniscus.  Maybe then it will require surgery.