Thursday, February 14, 2013

....And There's A Picture Of A Train On It

I'm taking time out from this hellish week-- during which I've been feeling: exhausted; over-worked; elated at KU righting the ship by beating the hell out of K-State (I hope Wildcats fans enjoyed that 48 hours there when they had control of the Big 12 Conference- they certianly got their fill of shit-talking in); probably still a little bit hungover from last weekend's drinking marathon, if I'm being completely honest with myself; and mildly confused as to why the Atlanta Braves' over/under on wins next season is only 86 (that's free money on the over, right???)-- in order to bring you the latest installment in the ongoing series "Holy shit, I'm getting old."

I was fortunate enough this morning to receive this valentine via email from my dear friend Easy E....





....and so my office mates and I shared a good chuckle about that classic valentine from Lisa Simpson to Ralph Wiggum, and how awesome The Simpsons used to be back in the day, etc. etc.  All of us, that is, except for our student worker, a junior here at KU.  She failed to recognize the reference.....because she was LESS THAN ONE YEAR OLD WHEN THAT EPISODE CAME OUT.  Game over.  I....I mean....just game over.





I don't know how you grow up to be a fully-functioning human being with a top-notch sense of humor without growing up on the golden era of The Simpsons....but I guess we're going to find out with these next couple of generations.  I'm not holding my breath.

Also, I'm about two years away from posting up on my front porch with a cooler of PBR, Clint Eastwood-in-Gran Torino-style, just housing beers all day, pointing imaginary guns at passerby and grumbling about those damn kids and their Angry Birds and Taylor Swift and vampires and what the fuck is dubstep?




***************

UPDATED:  A few people have given me crap that I got a valentine from Easy E.  I have two responses:  1.  That's just jealousy talking, and 2. That's not the only valentine I received from a dude, so if you're not getting valentines from someone besides your significant other, you should get some better friends.  If you're not sending funny valentines to your bros, then you're doing it wrong.

I also received the follow-up question:  well then, what kind of valentine did you give Teens?  I will tell you.  I put together a sweet little hand-made number with a big picture of Sly & the Family Stone, and wrote down:

Thank you
Fa' lettin' me
Be yo' valentine
AGAIN!

If you google 'luckiest gal on Earth', you may just find a wikipedia entry for Teens as the first result.