Thursday, December 27, 2012

Robotomatic For The People!

Remember the robot dance guy from Chappelle Show I wrote about a while ago?  I couldn't embed this gif of Naadir Tharpe celebrating during a recent KU game, but it's only a quick click away, I promise:

http://gif.mocksession.com/2012/12/tharpe-robot/


There's really only three options here:

a)  Tharpe also enjoys Chappelle Show
b)  Tharpe reads the blog, and was giving me a what-up
c)  Tharpe is just really shitty at doing the robot dance

I'm going with b), because I'm egotistical like that.  (Although, now that I think about it, Brady Morningstar did bust out his old undershirt for a game a couple years ago in response to The Brady Morningstar Undershirt Brigade I started on Facebook, so I guess it's not outside the realm of possibility that b) is correct.  But let's be real here.)

Tharpe has been struggling on the court a little bit so far in his KU career (though he's only a sophomore, and point guard is a tough position to learn) but between his robot dance and the fact that he nicknamed himself "Automatic for the People", his off-court shenanigans are quickly making him a potential Wall-of-Famer by the time it's all said and done.

There's a fine line to walk when you're giving yourself your own nickname.  If it's something funny or ridiculously over the top, like "Automatic for the People" or "The Big Aristotle"...then you're OK in my book.  But if you're trying to be cool with "Black Mamba" or trying way too hard by making hats that say "Big Jon" on them, and calling yourself part of the hockey team, when really you're just the guy who opens up the door to the bench during line changes....c'mon, man.  Get you a real nickname.  You know, like "Automatic for the People" or something.