Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Things That Used To Be Awesome. Volume 3.

Sometimes 1998 doesn't seem like that long ago....and sometimes, in instances like these, it seems like a lifetime ago. How could that song have possibly passed across a supervisor's desk and he said "Yeah, that sounds good, let's go with that for the title screen." Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that he did, I'm just baffled by it. Call, call, call, call me Junior!





Speaking of music from Ken Griffey Jr. video games...remember the tune from the original game for Super Nintendo? (Probably like four of my friends are saying 'yes' right now. Holla at me Fundy. For the rest of you, the part I'm talking about starts at the 53 second mark in this clip):





That bass line has crawled into my head and lived there for 18 effing years now. One day around eight years ago, I was in a bar and confused as to why the song from the video game was playing. I was also probably confused because we were at Muddy Rivers on a Sunday night, which undoubtedly meant that I was double fisting and carrying a third beer in my back pocket (don't ask me why I could never drink responsibly at Muddy Rivers, I don't have an answer) but that's neither here nor there. I sprinted over to the jukebox and found out that the song that Ken Griffey Jr. & Co. clearly based their tune on was 'The Peace Frog' by The Doors-- a song that I had never heard before. And so I had a new favorite song, a song I still love to this day.





And now it strikes again. Background information: I HATE Maroon 5. I hate them about as much as one can hate a musical artist. Like all those internet memes you see about how much people hate Creed or Nickelback....that's me and Maroon 5. There's nothing good about what they do. I think the term 'douchebag' was created with Adam Levine in mind. But, is the song 'Misery' on my ipod? Yup. Why? Because of the magic Super Nintendo Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball bassline, heard in the chorus of the song. You don't know how much it pains me to deface my blog like this, but you need to hear the example. Nobody said journalism was easy.





If anyone knows of any other songs that contain that bassline somewhere in the song, please let me know, because it's obvious that my brain is incapable of anything other than total devotion to it. I mean, Maroon 5? You've got to be kidding me. 2004 Me is spinning in his grave (and also contemplating not following baseball anymore because Red Sox losses are getting to hard to take, but it's OK. 2004 Me can relax, good times are coming for him in October.)