Friday, January 20, 2012

All In The Game Yo. All In The Game.

Giants (+2.5) over 49ERS

Annnnnd I continue to hate the Giants. This is typical Giants football, that after being one of the most frustratingly up-and-down teams of the regular season, they're going to put it all together, ruin the Packers' 15-1 season, and potentially go the Super Bowl. That's so Raven. Dammit, I hate this team. At least I get to hedge my '49ers winning the NFC' longshot bet and guarantee myself some money...but I hate doing it with the Giants. It brings me little pleasure. It's like if a guy you worked with had some leftover pizza in the breakroom fridge, then he passed away over the weekend. Come Monday, you'd obviously eat the leftovers because, I mean, c'mon-- free pizza. But you wouldn't feel great about doing it.

PATRIOTS (-7) over Ravens

The Patriots are looking dominant, and the Ravens looked mostly shitty last week. (One of the most frustrating losses I've had lately: I was one 4th-and-goal conversion from the 1-yard-line from hitting both the spread and the over. Instead, Baltimore gets stuffed, and I end up losing both bets. After combining for 30 first half points, the teams combined for just 3 in the second half. Get real.)

Jdub and I got into a spirited debate about this game the other night (he thinks the Ravens are a lock to cover) but for me it comes down to this: if you suddenly appeared in the Lone Pine Mall parking lot in a DeLorean leaving flaming tire tracks behind you, hopped out and told me right now that the Ravens won this game, I would definitely raise an eyebrow. If you told me that the Patriots won 38-10, I wouldn't flinch. I just think there's way more potential for a New England blowout than for a Baltimore win (and with single-digit spreads, don't take the points unless you think they might win.) So I'll happily lay the 7-- although I'm hoping like hell that it drops to 6.5. That would make this pick even juicier.

***************

Back when Sasha Kaun played for KU, after he had a huge block or a dunk or something and there was a break in the action, the Allen Fieldhouse PA crew would fire up this clip from Star Trek. (Currently, Bill Simmons and co. have been beating this joke into the ground for a couple years now, at the expense of T'wolves GM David Kahn. Just know that KU was doing it back in 2006.)

Anyway, there are two prime opportunities for KU to be doing a similar stunt this year. One with Justin Wesley (the clip from Roadhouse right after Swayze rips out Jimmy's throat, then looks across the river at Wesley's mansion and screams Wesleyyyyyyyyyyyyy!-- it starts at the 3:50 mark of this clip). And another one for Kevin Young, using this clip:




I hope you're not looking for a point here, because I don't have one. These are just the things I think about during games sometimes, and I wanted to go on the record in case someday KU uses my idea.

***************

We recently finished watching the entire series of The Wire, and all I can say is that it's the most involved in a TV show I've ever been. Literal depression is setting in, now that I know I don't have any new episodes left to watch. Even though it was hyped up to me by everyone I knew who had watched it, and every article I read gave it rave reviews, it totally lived up to the expectations. A couple months back, when I told Kyle that I hadn't seen an episode, but had purchased all the seasons and was about to start digging in, he told me he was jealous. Then he got this wistful expression on his face, looked off into the distance, took a slow drink of his coffee, and said, "Yeah. Jealous. Because I've already experienced every single episode, and you have five whole seasons to look forward to. The whole show is new to you, and I'll never get that feeling back again." At the time I thought it was a really intense thing to say....now I know exactly how he feels. WATCH THIS SHOW if you haven't.