Thursday, December 15, 2011

"Who's This Guy? Look At This Idiot....Oh Crap, It's My Boyfriend"



- Christine's quote as she sat at home watching the KU/Ohio St. game last week, as I made my triumphant debut on ESPN, mugging in the background during an interview between Jay Bilas and Ohio St. coach Thad Matta.

Kyle and I thought we were in perfect position to both be on TV for the entire interview, but it turns out he only got on for a couple seconds when he leaned his head in (sorry dude.) So it was just me grinning in the background like an idiot, which we opted for over being loud and crazy and interrupting the interview, since we didn't want to risk getting booted out of the shot. Either way, it was pretty funny about 15 minutes later when they aired the interview and my phone exploded in my pocket. Texts from numbers I don't even know, Facebook messages from people I haven't talked to in years and years....nothing like an appearance on the World Wide Leader to make you feel cool. I even got a hero's welcome at the bar after the game, since we're friends with the bartender, she made a big deal as soon as I came on the screen, and she had everyone coming up to me for fake autographs as soon as we walked in the bar after the game.

So now I've got ESPN and CBS crossed off the list (Bergman, Chuck, Endo and I were in the background at the '09 PGA Championship while Tiger was putting, and I looked like an idiot then too, so I'm 2 for 2 in that category.) We'll try for NBC if we end up at the Ryder Cup in Chicago next September, which is looking more and more like a go. Still nowhere near Addy's number of times on television, but that number is like Dimaggio's 56-game hit streak, it's never getting touched. That kid is ridiculous.

Bilas is probably the best college basketball analyst out there right now, and he's certainly the best thing to ever come out of Duke...although I'll listen to arguments for Grant Hill. He's a pretty cool guy too, look at him lean into me for this photo. He's going at least 80/20 on me. What up JB.