Sunday, May 1, 2011

Day Drinking

There are few better things in life than getting after it and tying on a good one during the day. Plus, since I ended my 13-year streak of not going to bed before midnight last year, I can enjoy them that much more. Whereas before, I had to somewhat pace myself so I could make it all night, now I can just rock out a nice solid day drunk and not worry about going to bed at 8 pm if need be. It has made day drinking that much better.

Beer just tastes better in the daylight. Something about the UV rays penetrating the can and invigorating the hops.....it's science.

Other places that beer tastes better:

- Inside a baseball stadium. The fact that the watered-down, lukewarm rubbish that they serve at some stadiums still manages to taste decent is a near miracle. This also applies to baseball stadium parking lots, but we'll get to that in a separate category.

- Over water. Tubing down Red Lake Falls; at the beach by the ocean; sitting in a boat while my friends fish-- some of the places I've put on my most impressive drinking displays (Red Lake Falls trips in particular. I've never gone there and NOT been a shitshow.) I'd like to take a cruise someday, but I've seen Titanic one too many times and I'm slightly terrified of deep water now.

- Tailgating. For any type of event. Something about the combination of a parking lot, a folding chair, and a beer does it for me. Aforementioned baseball games, football games (especially when it's 6 in the morning and -20 degrees...sometimes going to college in North Dakota was awesome), concerts...we even had a plan last fall to tailgate in the parking lot of the hospital while awaiting the arrival of J-Dub's baby, until we found out it was grossly illegal.

- In the car. Who doesn't enjoy Road Sodas? Maybe because it's so expressly forbidden-- except for certain highways around the country where it's legal for passengers to booze. It's definitely the only good thing about Missouri. About as excited as I get to crack open a beer is immediately upon crossing the border into that godforsaken state.

- Others?