Wednesday, February 23, 2011

This House Is Falling Apart

>> Two songs currently dominating my head right now: 'Anna Sun' by Walk the Moon (thank you Schneweis, as usual) and 'D.A.N.C.E.' by Justice, which, if you've been watching any college basketball the last week or so, you might recognize as the song playing during the commercial with all the coaches "dancing" and clapping. After the first time I saw that commercial, I almost sprained my thumbs frantically googling that song on my phone. Love at first listen, for both of these songs.

>> I'm re-reading 'To Kill a Mockingbird' for the first time since 7th or 8th grade or whatever year we read it in school....it's surprisingly kinda awesome. It's a much more enjoyable read when I don't have to worry about defining words and answering random questions picked by a maniacal English teacher. I got the Carney/Skinner doubleheader my two years at South Middle School, and while I'm definitely better for it in the long run, it was a grizzly bear at the time. When I saw Mrs. Carney around town, even ten years after I had her as a teacher, she still refused to call me anything but James. Needless to say, she was not a believer in nicknames. This paragraph really spiraled on me. (Where IS he right now?) Moral of the story: books are more fun when you're reading for pleasure, not for school. But don't take my word for it!






>> Maybe the highlight of my trivia career last Sunday night, when Lane, Jud, Mike and I strolled into a buzzsaw of 24 other teams, all but three of which had at least 10-12 team members, made up of various Lawrence "bigwigs", and took them all down. It's crazy how pumped I get about winning trivia like that, it's a weird source of pride. "Yeah bro, we might not be able to kick your ass, per se, but we are certainly in possession of more random knowledge that will do us little to no benefit during our lifetimes! Suck this dick, bitch! Step up and suck this dick!" Also, our team would've been able to ride in this charity's float during the St. Patty's Day parade, but unfortunately I'll be up in Fargo that week, so that dream goes unfulfilled. For now.

>> Since it's fun to end on a negative note, congratulations Tyshawn Taylor, you have officially joined Eric Chenowith as the only Kansas Jayhawks I have ever hated in my entire life. I'm sure he'll be back from his suspension this year, and I'm sure he'll contribute, and I'm sure I'll be forced to cheer for him again at some point...but I won't be happy about it.