Tuesday, May 11, 2010

"It Wasn't Supposed To Be This Way....Not For Us"

On my Doucheberry, I keep an ongoing memo where I list all the songs I need to download the next chance I get (the memo is appropriately titled 'Downloading.') So anytime I hear a song I like on a jukebox, or in someone's car, or anywhere in public that this scenario may play itself out, I can punch it in quick and not have to remember the title and artist myself.

ANYWAY, I got a liiiiittle bit shitfaced on Saturday night, and when I woke up Sunday morning there was an entry in the Downloading memo entitled 'laura branigan saved by the bell fuck you jeff.' Um, what?

So I did a little googling and apparently sometime during the night- my guess is when we after-barred at Jud and Wing's place, and we had the 80's music TV channel going in the background- I heard the Laura Branigan song 'How Am I Supposed To Live Without You'. This song, as I hope the hamster running on the wheel in your brain is starting to figure out, is the song that is playing at Homecoming while Kelly is breaking up with Zack (although I think it's the Michael Bolton version of the song, in an award-winning performance by Slater and Jessie.) I had no idea who Laura Branigan was....turns out she also sang 'Gloria', which as anyone who attended school in Grand Forks, North Dakota can tell you, is an absolute staple of middle school gym class line dancing (along with Rick James' 'Superfreak.')

The 'fuck you Jeff' part of my memo? Also should be fairly obvious by now:



This fuckin' guy.



So all this Saved by the Bell googling led to finding some pretty fantastic videos sprinkled around the interwebs. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the official Zack & Kelly break-up video, since NBC scours youtube for videos belonging to them like Arizona police officers looking for illegal immigrants (political humor alert!) Not that it really matters for me personally, I've got that whole scene pretty much memorized by now. ("Do you like him?"....."No....yes....I don't know!" And so on.)

I feel sorry for everyone not from my generation, who missed out on the awesomeness that is Saved by the Bell. At least you had Hannah Montana to look forward to after school?


(Side note: when I initially read the memo in my phone, my first thought was that I was talking about the girl who was in Saved by the Bell: The New Class, and is now looking frighteningly saucy in that new Miller Lite commercial, and maybe I wanted to remind myself that yes, she is indeed hot? But alas, I discovered that her name is actually Lindsey McKeon, not Laura Branigan, so it was back to the drawing board. Good to see ol' Lindsey gettin' work, though. Keep on doing what you're doing.)

Just because: my all-time top 5 Saved by the Bell episodes, from way back in February 2008. Or as I like to call it, 2 months B.C. (Before Chalmers.) Can it really be that long ago?