Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Great CD Audit Of 2010

After almost five years of listening exclusively to my ipod, I'm finally undertaking the long-overdue task of getting rid of most of my cd's (compact discs, to any readers under age 17.) I'll still hang on to some of them, but my giant-ass binder that holds like 400 million discs is finally getting the heave-ho. Some of the things I found during my project:

>> Every cd from my entire life is in this case. So needless to say, there are some atrocious ones. Not quite on the level of ADawg still having his All-4-One cd on the front page of his case, but still.....Weird Al Yankovic, No Doubt, Insane Clown Posse, BLACKstreet, DJ Mix '97 Volume 1 (remember Dj's Girl?.....yup.) Paging Dr. Yee Ikes. Those are brutal. (However, not included in this list are Kris Kross, Tag Team, and MC Hammer. Not only are those cd's not brutal, but they made the cut. I'm keeping those little gems.)


>> Back in my early college days, I was a hip-hop snob. Big time. If you had any female (or R. Kelly) singing your choruses in a song, you were a pussy and not a real rapper. If you didn't listen to, or at least appreciate, old-school rap, you were not a real fan of rap music. If I found myself enjoying a Notorious BIG song (which was inevitable because he was awesome) I practically gave myself a self-flagellation like the dude in Da Vinci Code, due to my blind loyalty to 2Pac and West Coast rap.

There a bunch more examples, but to sum it up, I was a big douche. Ugh. So, all that being said, as I was perusing some of my old rap mix cd's.....I can't believe some of the shitty rap music I listened to. My snob status was completely unwarranted. Just ask Xzibit, Black Rob, the Big Tymers, Juvenile, and others.


>> It was fun going through all the various mixes Schneweis made for different parties throughout college. (He made me so many mixes, if they were cassette tapes instead of cd's, you would've thought we shared a torrid romance in a mid-80's romantic comedy.) I could actually visualize the parties as I listened to a particular cd. You could tell which songs and artists we were digging, since they showed up in nearly every cd over a three-year period. Namely Modest Mouse, Robert Randolph, Stevie Wonder, and Flogging Molly. As Alex put it as she was trolling through the cd's, "Sooooo, you guys really liked the song 'Superstition' then, huh?"

I also enjoyed some of the names of the cd's. Por ejemplo:

- T.Nels turns 21 (if one of your buddies turns 21, but nobody is sober enough to remember it, did it really happen?)
- Can I Borrow a Feeling? (Kirk Van Houten, natch)
- Why Not Minot? (the infamous Minot trip to visit Weisser when the Mighty Ducks were born)
- Culligan = Party
- Culligan = Party V.2.0 (must've been a kickass party to warrant the 2.0)
- Party at the Z's


>> My top 5 Greatest Hits cd's that I couldn't live without:

1. Stevie Wonder
2. The Clash
3. Styx
4. The Who
5. Run DMC


>> And I don't know why I was making fun of 'Dj's Girl' earlier....who am I kinding, that song is still awesome. I just checked my iTunes, and it has a play count of 26. "Check the guest list again, Mr. Bouncerhead Muscleman. Hey stupid Steroidface, I'm not gonna pay your dumb little cover charge. I'm with the Dj, OK?"

Classic.