Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Twins Fan For A Day

For the record, I am wholeheartedly cheering for the Twins as they fight to backdoor their way into the playoffs without Justin Morneau. For the first time since I bought my Doucheberry, I have been using the internet to continually refresh a Gamecast that wasn't a Red Sox game. The baseball playoffs are a truly magical time, and I'd just like as many of my friends as possible to share in the excitement. It makes me happy when my friends are happy.

The only reason I go on the record and point this out is because I normally take more shit from my Minnesota Twins friends than anyone else. By far. People who claim that fans of the Boston/East Coast teams are the insufferable ones obviously don't talk to some of the people I know. So Twins fans: when the Sox are down 3-1 in the ALCS to the Yanks this year, down 6-2 in the 9th and about to be eliminated, and you're whipping out your phone to text me some trash talk, remember that I was pulling for your boys. (Also remember how brutal it sounds when you make fun of a team that made it further in the playoffs than you. Pretty classless 2008 postseason you guys had last year, texty-wise.)

While we're here, the mere possibility of a Twins/Sox ALCS would be a friendship Armageddon. Which I guess would be cool, because I've been needing to trim down my address book anyway. Lane and I were chatting about baseball today, and his exact quote was "If the Twins played the Sox in the ALCS, it would be win-win, because even if the Twins lost, I'd get to beat you up." And since Lane could beat me up while holding baby Finn in one hand, and I don't think I could come close to beating up anybody I know (except maybe ADawg, he's just a little guy) my only response to that is if the Sox lost that series, I would walk through elementary schools until I found a kid in a Twins shirt, and beat him (or her) up.

One last note: I can't decide if I'm cheering for the Braves to get in or not. On one hand, when Dunph (resident Braves fan) and I were discussing going to the World Series the other day, he was already telling me, in typical fashion, that the Braves have a better chance of getting there than the Sox, despite the fact that Atlanta was still 2 games out of the wild card at the time. On the other hand, at least he talks shit before Boston is down to their last out in a Game 7, when their own team lost in a one-game playoff to the shitty and overrated White Sox. So there's that.

(Chelsey, before you throw another handful of rice at me, please remember the beginning of this post, where I said that I am cheering for the Twins to get in. My ear still smells like enchilada sauce.)