Thursday, May 21, 2009

Brother's Day Update

I'd like to start by saying that now, in our 9th year of celebrating Brother's Day, I had hoped that we would be further along in the process of making it a national holiday. Studies have shown that among the siblings that officially recognize the holiday, brother relations have increased 48%. It's a day to set aside your differences, and just let bygones be bygones, you know? I forgive you, Brother, for sneaking into Culligan and stealing my Nintendo64 while I slept...and I hope you forgive me for charging you interest on that 2 grand you owe me.* C'mon, you said you'd pay it back in a month, and it's been almost 3 years. We're in a recession, dude.

In any event, I realized that I forgot to alert everyone that Brother's Day has officially been moved to this coming Sunday. Normally it is celebrated the Sunday after Mother's Day, but it's been moved so that I can spend it with Brother while I'm up in Grand Forks. By "spend it with Brother" I mean that I will greet him in the morning with a big hug and a "Happy Brother's Day!" and he will roll his eyes, tell me to stop being so fucking annoying all the time, try and fight off the hug, get mildly angry with me when I keep hugging him anyway...and then the moment is ruined and we won't talk for like three hours.

So this Sunday, everybody call your brother(s) and wish them a happy Brother's Day, at the very least. Presents are encouraged (but not required- I am still patiently awaiting my first gift- cross your fingers, this might be the year!) This year I am giving Brother a couple of old shirts that he has had his eye on that no longer fit me, a tin of chew, and a possibly heavily shaken beer. Let's just say that if he finally has a gift for me after all these years, then I won't shake it. Too much.


*I'm not really charging Brother interest on his debt. Sometimes people don't know when I'm joking, and I don't want to be known as the asshole who has had the juice running on his own brother since 2006.**

**But seriously, he can finish paying me back anytime now.