Friday, October 31, 2008

Here Comes That Shit Again, I've Got A Halloweenhead

The title of this post comes from the song Halloweenhead by Ryan Adams. Everybody should legally purchase the CD and definitely not download it illegally, it's a pretty awesome song. But more than that, I think it's hilarious because in the middle of the song, after the chorus, Adams yells out, "Guitar solooooo!!!" and, sure enough, a wonderful guitar solo ensues. It just reminds me of anytime we're singing karaoke, and the words [Instrumental Break] show up on the screen and so Paul and I immediately scream "Instrumental breeeeeeaaaaaaak!!!" into the microphone and then laugh like that was the funniest joke of all time. At least no one can say that we're not easily entertained.

So here and there, in the form of little everyday things that have been sneaking up on me, I can feel myself getting older:

-Mornings after I play basketball, I'm incredibly sore, and at this point, I've pretty much convinced myself that I have some sort of major ligament damage in my right knee, with absolutely zero medical proof whatsoever.

-I am only in my second season in Madden, whereas normally I'd have finished around 5 by now.

-I am not a huge advocate of getting crunk sauced when I have to wake up early the next morning (which isn't to say that I won't do it from time to time, but it is rarely my idea anymore.)

-I am listening to hip-hop much less than I used to. It's still much more than a white kid from North Dakota probably should, but it is less than before.

-Nowadays, when I get off the phone with a client, I say buh-bye (this might be the most disturbing one of them all; this used to be one of my biggest pet peeves as recently as 2 years ago. However, it may just be a case of me subconsciously trying to be professional at work. If I ever use it on one of you when we're ending a conversation, I give you full permission to punch me in the face next time you see me.)

-And now the latest sign: I am not a fan of Halloween anymore. I skipped a party in KC last weekend, and I will not be going out tonight at all. I don't feel like picking out a clever costume; I don't feel like having to tell every other person I run into all night how awesome their costume is; and I don't feel like going to a crowded bar that becomes 30% more crowded because of people who have ridiculously huge costumes that fuck up everybody else's day.



Awesome, yeah, you're a Transformer. Sweet, dude. Now would you get out of the fucking way, you're totally blocking the line to the bathroom.



When I told Bergman that I was sick of Halloween, he made a very good point:

yeah, tons of girls running around all night in slutty costumes. I'm totally sick of that too.

That is the one thing I will miss about going out on Halloween. I love how that holiday somehow morphed into the day where girls are allowed to dress like huge whores and it is totally acceptable, nay-encouraged- and us guys are the beneficiaries. But other than missing out on the eye candy, or going up to a girl and saying "Oh my goodness! What a convincing Catwoman costume! What is that chestplate made out of- can I feel it?" I am totally OK with staying in and watching scary movies tonight. I don't know, maybe I just miss the Culligan Halloween parties, and know that since they can't be topped, I don't want to try. Or maybe I'm just a big pussy.





OK, maybe the real reason I skipped the KC party is I didn't want to deal with Nancy and Tonya's shenanigans all night.