Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Lawrence, KS 66047

The move is complete. Monday was a wonderful day spent driving the 10 hours from Grand Forks to Lawrence. Our caravan consisted of Alex in her car, me in Curtis the Altima, and Bergman pulling the U-Haul with his truck. Driving behind him was fun because about halfway through the trip he decided he wasn't getting good enough gas mileage, and began drafting a couple feet behind semis, undoubtedly sending their collective blood pressure through the roof. This, folks, is why you shouldn't let your kids spend their Sunday afternoons watching NASCAR. Moving everything into the apartment in 103 degree weather was not the most fun experience of my life, but Bergman was lifting 4 boxes at a time (motivated by the promise of a Sonic lunch when we were finished) and it went pretty fast. The above picture is taken from the kitchen hallway of our living room. Notice that even though 75% of our shit is still in boxes, we have both the Sega Genesis and the Playstation 2 unpacked. On the same note, while Alex was at Target buying paper towels, food, toilet paper, and other necessities, Bergman and I were at Best Buy getting Madden 08. Prioritizing is important in life.

Probably my favorite thing about moving is finding the new places you love to eat and drink. I already have a few faves from previous visits to Lawrence (Louise's West, Biggs Barbeque, Henry T's) and last night I found another one in Jefferson's. It has great wings and good prices, and it has a Parrot's Cay kind of feel to it. The downtown in general is a million times better than GF. Within 2 minutes of our place we have a Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, Mass Beverage (a liquor store), JC Penney, Subway, and Sonic (SONIC!!) Bergman and I ate there 3 times in 3 days, and I will regularly be picking up a 44 ounce Strawberry LimeAde for 99 cents on my way to work in the morning. Once I get a job, that is. Overall, I feel very good about this city. Here are some pictures for those of you who are visual learners. Danny, hopefully you get to an internet and see these before your arrival.

Here is our small kitchen. Alex is midly distressed by the lack of cupboard space, but I am pretty OK with it. Hot pockets, pizza rolls, and microwavable chicken wings all go in the freezer anyway.

Here is my bedroom, AKA the Fortress of Solitude. The one thing I am not thrilled about regarding our new place is that basically the bedrooms are slightly glorified dorms. Not much room to put random stuff, and for a guy who owns things like a life-size Princess Leia cutout, this is not a good thing. We will be sleeping in Alex's room, so this will essentially be a spare room/video game room. My unpacking job leaves a little bit to be desired.







This is a meaningless picture of our bathroom. Enjoy!