Thursday, June 21, 2007

Too Long For A Mere Comment

I started to leave this as a comment from yesterday, but too much to say. I'm just brimming with replies here.

First, to Ponch, yes I like the Sox and Knicks. Doesn't make much sense, and if I lived somewhere besides North Dakota, it wouldn't have happened. My best guess is that, when I was about 8 years old, I thought it would be a pretty neat idea to pick favorite teams that would go on to torture me throughout my childhood (and now into adulthood.) This contributed to me also cheering for KU, Phil Mickelson, and the Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans. And oh yeah I'm moving to Lawrence, Kansas, to live the dream. By "live the dream" I mean "upgrade my obsession over a college basketball team to near catastrophic levels."

The Kobe situation has me really concerned/bummed out. The three teams I probably enjoy most in the NBA are the Knicks (my team), Chicago (Hinrich), and Phoenix (who I enjoy due to their style of play and their rivalry with Kobe and the Lakers.) And who are the three frontrunners for Kobe? Yep, pretty much. Although at this point Kobe might as well go to the Knicks, as it can't get any worse, and then Danny and I would be reunited as Knick fans, as we were in '99 when they made the miracle run to the Finals. The scenario that French described, where Chicago drafts Julian and then trades for Kobe, is just about my worst nightmare not involving Elizabeth Shue and Daunte Culpepper. The only thing that comforts me is that three years ago, Gay-Rod ended up not going to the Sox.

Dunph, thanks for the support. Wasn't expecting anything else. Don't be bitter because the bottom is falling out of the Braves' season, and you cried yourself to sleep while doing the Tomahawk Chop last night. You'll always have 1995.