Wednesday, June 20, 2007

This Is My Concerned Face

Here's why I can't get excited about the Sox yet, even though they have the best record in baseball: they suck when I watch them. Besides the weekend with huge comeback against the Yanks's bullpen and the four-homer game, I have seen them win a grand total of twice. After Monday, they're now 4-11 when I'm watching. For a team with a winning percentage of .643, that's just dumb. I have watched Schilling get roughed up three times; seen Ortiz hit two dongs and Manny none; probably not seen a hit out of Lugo or Varitek (Crisp just left that club with his 4-4 night on Monday) and barely even seen Papelbon, period.

Getting excited for the draft, and it's still a week away. Very excited to see where Julian goes. As a Knick fan, the last few years have been spent enjoying other teams, rooting for close series and exciting moments or performances. However, if Julian somehow goes to the Bulls, resulting in my two favorite players on the planet playing on the same team...we won't get into that. Deal with it if it happens.

What has me most worried right now is the fact that I have not played a single round of golf yet this year. Not one. It's almost July! Usually by now I have paid off my season pass 1 1/2 times over. The reasons I can think of for this travesty are listed here:

1) No time due to working two jobs and studying. Least likely reason; I dealt with this time constraint last summer as well.

2) Other hobbies. I am still in noonball mode, and have been playing a lot of tennis, after not playing at all last summer. Softball and 5 on 5 league at the new "Rucker" take up a night each week as well. This reason is bullshit. There is no way that tennis should come before golf, and usually I scale back noonball as well.

3) I broke par my last round of the year in 2006. This could be the most likely reason, but it worries me the most. Breaking par has been my holy grail since I started golfing when I was 14 years old. Every round the last couple years (since it became a possibility) was geared around that. I had countless legitimate chances to do it, but choked every time, including the round in 2003 when I was -2 going into the last hole, only to drive my ball into the water, triple bogey, and then go home and try to slit my wrists with a golf tee. When I finally broke par last year, I knew I could relax and enjoy the winter. What I was not counting on was spring coming around and me failing to get the fever, which usually hits right after the Masters. I am last season's Pittsburgh Steelers, personified.

So it has me worried that I have not got the itch to go play; plus the fact that I am letting down my dad and others who want to enjoy one last summer of golfing with me before I move. I am scheduled to play a round tomorrow morning, but I would be lying if I said I was properly excited for it.