Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Day After


Been struggling through the day that is always the worst day of the year; the day after Kansas loses. I have been handling it much better than the last two years, partly because I never really felt that confident against UCLA, partly because it wasn't a first round game against an inferior opponent, partly because we have nearly everyone back next year (I'm thinking Brandon Rush is gone.) It was a good run, but looking at their faces halfway through the second half, you knew it was done. Add in the fact that they shot under 50% on layups and dunks, and it's a wonder they stayed as close as they did. On the plus side, following my after-loss shenanigans of the last couple years, my friends are officially scared to do anything after KU loses. We had a sellout crowd at Culligan Manor, employing the dual TVs for the UND hockey game, and there was a stretch of about 15 minutes, starting with about 2 minutes left in the KU game, where no one talked, until finally I said something, and conversation resumed again. I also received no phone calls or texties until a couple hours later. Good times. However, as I started crushing beers after the game and subsequently went out to the bar, I received this award-winning texty from The Woman:

"Call if you need a ride--please don't go to jail tonight--I don't know where it is."

OK enough about KU; my therapist said to stay positive and think about all the good things in my life. I suppose I have to give Memphis props, as they advanced further than I thought they would, and destroyed my bracket by beating A&M. Thanks, guys. That being said, I would have loved to play them instead of UCLA to go to the final 4. With all due respect to Fundy, who shows me love regarding KU, even cheering for them last night, but I am happy to see Carolina crap the bed against G'town today. Anything that results in Roy crying is OK in my book. It will be fun to watch Hibbert and Oden go at each other. Quick picks: Florida over UCLA, Georgetown over Ohio St. We've been blessed by basically having two final 4's this year.

Thumbs down to the Grand Am tournament, which quickly turned into Devils Lake tournament in the last two years that I didn't play. Our last game was downright Fort Totten-esque, played at South Middle School, with refs that didn't know the rules. I am tired of organized basketball in general. I can't remember the last game I played in where there were competent referees.

Also, Brady Morningstar is now my facebook friend. Still waiting for Mario Chalmers, Brandon Rush, Darnell Jackson, and Russell Robinson to answer. Julian Wright doesn't allow random people to give friend requests. God bless facebook. Not creepy at all.

French, your continual pimping of the McGriddle has piqued the curiousity of both my taste buds and myself. My goals for the week now include trying one.