Wednesday, January 10, 2007

To Quote Curtis Blow: These Are The Breaks!!!

Well, the whirlwind time frame known as Christmas Break is over and done with, and in a town like Grand Forks, that usually means going to the bar and having reunion after reunion. This involves running into one person you actually are happy to see, and trying to avoid conversations with 3 others. However, Break was not without some excellent times, capped off by the marriage of Lane Leedahl and Skye Folkert, which, all things considered, featured maybe the best collection of wedding-goers I have ever seen assembled in one place. I could probably count on two hands the amount of people I honestly care about that were not on that dance floor Saturday night. The booze was flowing, the deejay was spectacular, and the entrance to the dance floor was too tempting for The Woman and I (and others, unfortunately) to not take fake prom pictures in. Pictures up soon, hopefully. Also props to Pauldo and Melinda, as together they put up the greatest 1-2 combo of speeches in wedding history. Usually when one speech is excellent, the other person goes up shitfaced, mumbling, laughing, and spilling champagne on themselves and the bride. However, both speeches were ama-za-zing. As everyone returns from whence they came around the country, I would like to wish congrats to Lane and Skye, so long (for now) to Ben, Kos, Noles, Dumphs, ADawg, Mandy, Horp, and others, and good luck in Chi-Town, Danny. Jill, hate to twist the knife, but you shoulda been here.

I return to my desk on 3rd Street today, or as some like to call it, "The Strip of the Midwest" (yeah, I'm the only one who calls it that. Hey, it has Gilly's, Uptown Downtown, Joe Black's, Toasted Frog, and The Hub. It will catch on.) I am dismayed to find that the new townhomes being built across the street are flying up at an astonishing rate, and my view of everything is ruined. Such is life in the 21st Century, I guess. This is still the Industrial Revolution, right?

Went 4-4 on Wild Card weekend, but because I was running around during the wedding giving everyone points in the Seattle/Dallas game, (F you Jake for taking advantage of my drunken stuper...at least your mom kissed me later on) I managed to lose money. This weekend, in maybe the greatest round of divisional games in my lifetime, I'll take New Orleans over Philly, Chicago over Seattle, Whale's Vagina over New England (iffy) and Indianapolis over Baltimore (more iffy.)

Huuuuuge game for KU tonight, and I will be sprinting home (or maybe driving home, it will be faster) from my own bball game to catch the second half. Oklahoma St. is always scary as hell, and the Jayhawks have been sleepwalking for at least a month now. Definitely not the 6th best team in the country, that's for sure. Speaking of ball, the City League All-Star Break is finally over, and considering I haven't touched a ball since our last game on December 14th or so, it could be ugly. Either way, I am dedicating our performance tonight to Danny. It will be weird not playing with you, and I'm sure my scoring average will go down without you to hit me on back door cuts at least twice per game. Back later with wedding pics.