Sunday, October 15, 2006

#3: The Walk-Off and Walk-Home Game


This game is great because of the fallout resulting from it. It took place in 1994, me and Dunphy playing the original World Series Baseball game for the ol' Sega. We had bags packed, ready to leave to Langdon to watch one of Aaron or Andy's baseball tournaments, but Terry was running behind, so we fired up the Genesis for a quick game. I am the Phillies and he is the Braves, and Tom Glavine and Curt Schilling are having an absolute pitchers' duel. Schilling gives up only a solo homer to Dave Justice early on, and Glavine is perfect through 8 2/3, setting the stage for the last out.

With the pitcher spot coming up, obviously I pinch hit , and bring in John Kruk, probably the slowest player in the history of baseball. Dunphy pulls his infield back, and I see my chance to try and break up the perfecto the cheap way. I drop a beauty of a bunt down the third base line and beat it out. Dunphy begins absolutely freaking out (probably justified) about how gay it was to bring a pinch hitter and bunt to break up the perfect game. He is still yelling at me as Lenny Dykstra steps in. Dunphy grooves a fastball and Dykstra hits it out for the walk-off two-run homer. Dunphy chucks his controller and yells for a while, then tells me to grab my bag and get out. I didn't go with to Langdon that weekend and we didn't talk for literally two months. Worth it.