Tuesday, August 1, 2006

A July 31 For The Ages


Do you think it would be OK if we just hand the MVP award to this man right now? Do we have to finish the season for him to deserve it? I don't care if he is "only" a DH. That argument cost him the hardware last year, but if you don't think that David Ortiz is the most valuable player in major league baseball, then you are an idiot, and you can go watch the WNBA so you can have sports arguments with other fans who are idiots. I mean, Gay-Rod goes out there and boots easy grounders and throws balls away (especially in key spots) and he is rewarded with the MVP over Ortiz because he plays the field, allegedly making him more valuable. How is he helping the team by being a below-average fielder? You could make the same case for Bonds a couple of years ago, too. He couldn't even throw out his own hobbled knees trying to score from second. Ortiz could go out there and play a mediocre first base and win MVPs, but I guess instead he'll just go out there and get walk-off hit after walk-off hit, and not hit .208 in late-and-close situations.

Anyways, Oritz's dramatic homer last night inspired me to an absolutely magical round of golf at Poppy Hills on the PGA Championship game at Boston's. Coming off a ragged performance last week, I fired up a tidy little -21 (15 birdies, 3 eagles) to knock off the previously unheard-of course record by 2 shots, only needing 16 putts in 18 holes. That score will never be touched, certainly not by me or T. Nels, so I think I might as well just retire, as my arcade golf career just peaked at age 23.