Monday, May 22, 2006

Ode to the Dudster and the Coolest Night Ever



To the left is a picture of my favorite basketball player and real father (pending a DNA test), Chris Dudley. My love for him was born in 1999 during the Knicks' improbable run to the finals as an 8 seed. We had Dudley shirts made and the whole shebangabang. My buddies Lane, Dan, and I had the chance to meet him in 2000 in an exhibition game in Fargo. Basically the whole Phoenix Suns team (except for Jason Kidd, who is a giant douchebag) thought we were hilarious with our shirts, signs and non-stop cheering for the Dudster all game long. He even threw down a monster dunk in warmups for us; you could tell he was loving being in the spotlight, even though it was a preseason game in North Dakota.

Before the game I was talking shit to Cliff Robinson, after watching him miss 5 straight warmups from the corner. I told him to stay out of the corner tonight, it wasn't his shot. So midway through the second quarter he hits a three from the corner, looks at me in the crowd, points at me and winks. After the game Cliff is the first Sun out to the bus, sees us out there and comes up to us and starts talking. Pretty soon about half the roster (Robinson, Mario Elie, Paul McPherson, Tony Delk, Corie Blount, a couple others) are out bullshitting with us, as the rest of the fans look on in envy. Corie Blount even gave Lane 20 bucks to run across the street to pick up some tacos. While he was gone Dudley came out, and the whole team starting yelling at him and calling him over so we could get pictures. Dudley was grinning from ear to ear the whole time. When Lane came back he tried to run on the team bus, but guards tackled him and dragged him off, while Lane yelled "I've got Corie's tacos!!! I've got Corie's tacos!!!" Corie came out and saved Lane from a beatdown, and let Lane keep the 14 bucks in change. I have all kinds of autographs and memorabilia from that night, but I'll mainly just remember how we made Dudley the center of attention that night, and how he was probably getting shit for it the rest of the year.

Quick predictions for tonight: Mavs/Spurs will go down to the final minute again, with San Antonio's playoff experience being the difference. Look for a Dallas turnover or bad shot in the final minute, leading to the Spurs hitting the game winner. Big Shot Bob has been really quiet this series; could be his time. The Suns will hang on against the Clips in another close one. I don't like going against Sam Cassell in game 7's, but home court will be the deciding factor here. Also my beloved Sox will make it 4 out of 5 against the Yanks this year when the bad guys come to town tonight. Damon will go hitless and maybe get hit by lightning too.