Monday, November 25, 2013

Everybody Get Up, It's Time To Slam Now, We Got A Real Jam Goin' Down

Coincidentally, another perfect example of feeling older occurred shortly after I wrote that post last week. Some construction went awry on campus, and our building lost all internet and phone capabilities, as well as access to our accounting files. As a result, work was pretty much impossible to accomplish, and most of us went home early on both Thursday and Friday. And the weird thing is that my first reaction to all of this wasn't exultation, or even mild excitement. It was more "Dammit! I have a ton of stuff to get done right now, plus we have a short week with Thanksgiving next week! What about the budget projections for December?  Those grant reports aren't going to prepare themselves!  This is a travesty!" Realizing I had such dedication to my job in a time of near-crisis was alarming.

I mean, yeah, I still went home on Thursday, destroyed an entire six-pack-and a pound from Taco John's, and had a David Lynch movie marathon....and on Friday I popped in Space Jam, played a few rounds of Golden Tee, and started drinking 40's four hours before anyone was scheduled to come over that night....but still, I wasn't as happy about it as I would've been five years ago.