Sunday, July 14, 2013

#Sharknado


So the other night Twitter was ON FIRE with Sharknado references-- Sharknado being one of those ridiculous SyFy movies that feature physically impossible predators, laughable special effects, atrocious writing, worse acting, and at least one washed-up star from a previous decade-- in this case, you get a twofer:  Tara Reid AND Ian Zeiring, a.k.a. Steve Sanders from Beverly Hills 90210.  (Side note:  stuff like this is one of my favorite random things about Twitter, how a few funny or sarcastic tweets here and there start to snowball, and boom!  Something like Sharknado starts trending. Rush Sanders would be so proud of his boy.)

90% of the time, Teens and I can watch TV together.  Most of our favorite shows overlap, and we can usually tolerate the other person's crappy shows, too.  I can halfway pay attention to Teen Mom 2, since I have a liiiiiittle bit of a crushski on Chelsea.  Holler at me boo, Sioux Falls is right along my drive up to North Dakota!  My main exception is Grey's Anatomy; usually I'm in the room reading or something, and will only pop my head up from my book to make a bunch of jokes and try to ruin it for Teens.  In her case, there are two notable exceptions: 1)  She won't stick around for American Horror Story (she doesn't do scary, especially since I insist on watching in the basement with all the lights off) and 2)  If she walks in on me watching a SyFy original, all I get is a disgusted shake of the head and an immediate peace out.  But I love these movies, and I don't care who knows it.

Believe me, Sharknado has been DVR'd, and I'll definitely get around to watching it sooner rather than later (I celebrate Ian Ziering's entire collection)....but I just wanted to point out, Internet World, that if we're joyously celebrating so-crappy-they're-awesome SyFy shark movies, don't sleep on Two-Headed Shark Attack.  That movie is tremendous as well.  You've got Carmen Electra, Brooke Hogan, Not-Jerry O'Connell, nameless bimbos in bikinis, and a ton of gruesome deaths, even by SyFy movie standards.  Oh yeah, and a FUCKING TWO-HEADED SHARK.





Here's a top 5 list I never thought I'd get to do (who knew that shitty SyFy movies that I love so much would become topically relevant?)  My Top 5 Favorite SyFy Original Movies:

5.  Two-Headed Shark Attack

4.  Yeti: Curse of the Snow Demon

3.  Dinocroc (Yes.......)

2.  Supergator (YES......)

1.  Dinocroc vs. Supergator (YES!!!!!!!!!!)