Monday, April 2, 2012

You Know, The Nazis Had Pieces Of Flair Too

You know in Office Space, when Peter has his interview with The Bobs and while talking about his lack of work ethic, tells them "In a given week, I probably only do about 15 minutes of real, actual, work." That quote reminds me of KU in this tournament so far. In five games, they've probably only played about 20-25 minutes of real, actual, basketball. The last time they had a lead at halftime was against the 15-seed Detroit in the first round. Against Purdue, they trailed for 39 minutes of the game. Against Ohio St., 37 minutes. They were neck-and-neck with Carolina until finishing the game on a 12-0 run. Despite playing their C- or D+ game for over 75% of the tourney, somehow it's been enough to get them to the championship game. Forget about KU, I don't know if I've watched ANY college basketball team in my lifetime have a run of games like this in the tournament. So weird.

For the record, I don't think they can pull that same routine off against Kentucky. The (W! I! L! D!) 'Cats are too good for KU to spot them a huge lead and hope to come back against a defense that is as good as the Jayhawks. But for the first time in my basketball-watching life, if my team does fall behind early in a tournament game, I won't immediately look to mash the panic button or jump off the ledge. This team is mentally tough enough to keep it close. If KU can just keep within striking distance, I wouldn't bet against them the last stretch of the game.


Say, maybe, being down 9 with 2:12 left against a John Calipari-coached team in the national championship?



And if Kentucky does win, and they're crowned National Champs? Well that may be.....but at least I didn't sleep with Lumbergh.

(Full circle with Office Space, bro. Totally nailed it. I was gonna wrap up with comparing Kentucky's program to Initech, and how they represent "everything that is soulless and wrong!" but figured that I already got that rant out of my system late Saturday night when I was hammered. On the phone. With Christine's mom. Dammit.)