Wednesday, February 8, 2012

It's Happening

Old age is setting in.

It had been awhile since I had what I like to call a Tom Emanski Weekend (my nights of drinking, like his AAU championships, were back-to-back-to-back) and I am still struggling today. I was able to easily rally during the weekend-- cracking the first beer of each day wasn't an issue-- but that was mostly buoyed by the heroic performance from Paul, whose unexpected transformation into Paul circa 2002 was downright inspiring. A proud husband, father, and police officer drinking 40s, playing Streets of Rage, and staying up until 6:30am.....it was like watching a butterfly emerging from its cocoon, only in reverse.

However, as soon as I dropped him off at the airport on Monday, I could feel the tremendous hangover setting in, and it is still living inside me, even as I type this.

I still have almost a year to go until the big 3-0, but if moving on to my thirties feels anything like this after a good solid weekend of hitting the bottle....count me out. Game over, man. Hopefully the Mayans are right.