Wednesday, September 7, 2011

End Of An Era

Monday, September 5, 2011. Approximately 1:35 Central time. That's when my world as presently constructed fell apart. That was when I pulled into a parking slot at Sonic and casually ordered a mayo cheeseburger with no tomatoes, and two frito chili cheese wraps, like I have countless times before. Then I heard the nine words that ruined my day and will no doubt change my life going forward:

"Frito chili cheese wraps? We don't carry those anymore."

What? WHAT?!?!

I didn't even try to hide my dismay; I slumped forward against the steering wheel and let out an anguished moan into the loudspeaker. After a few seconds, I gathered myself and started trying to figure out how I could still get my chili cheese wrap fix. The bargaining stage of grief, I guess you could say. Were there any fritos left in the back that you would be willing to bust out for me? No. Not any? I swear I don't care how old they are. No. Could you take your chili cheese tots and wrap them in a burrito for me? No. Would you just make it a chili cheese wrap, without fritos or tots or anything else in it? No. I told them thanks anyway, put my car in reverse, and sadly backed out and drove off, likely never to return again.

And so ends the torrid love affair between Sonic and I. It began the very first day I moved to Lawrence, when we gorged ourselves immediately after moving in all our stuff in 110 degree heat. It was my first ever Sonic experience (we don't have them in North Dakota) and needless to say, it was a good one. I was like a confused 17-year-old who innocently enough tries cocaine at a party one time, and by the next morning is a full-on junkie. There was a Sonic next door to my apartment complex, and across the street from my job, and as a result, for the first two years I lived in Lawrence, the longest I went without having Sonic was 11 days. It has tapered off somewhat in the last couple years, but you could still definitely classify the amount of Sonic that I eat as "unhealthy."

But without the frito chili cheese wraps, it all stops for me. That was my go-to. While the burgers are pretty awesome, and 44 oz. Strawberry Limeades are the bees' knees, very little else on the menu is enjoyable for me. The frito chili cheese wraps were like the Big Lebowski's rug-- they tied the meal together for me.

And I know that some menu items aren't meant to be caged...their taste is just too delicious. And when they're removed from the menu, the part that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice. But still, your stomach is that much more drab and empty when they're gone. I guess I just miss my friend.