Sunday, August 7, 2011

Whoa, What, Oh!




The above video cracks me up. I love finding little things like that in movies. And it reminded me of a little phenomenom I've found that drives me crazy/fascinates me. Bear with me for awhile here. We can probably file this under "who gives a shit?" but it's my blog so screw you:

I used to play Ken Griffey Jr. baseball for N64 A LOT. Winning the World Series after my 162-game season was the 2nd coolest thing that happened to me in the summer of '98 (1st being getting my driver's license, but it's close.) After hitting a home run, the game would show a shot of your dugout celebrating, and you could hear a "yeah yeah! wooo-wooo......gone!" or at least that's what it sounded like to me. Not very noteworthy at the time. But because I played that game so much, and heard that cheer after EVERY SINGLE home run, it was pretty well burned into my brain. Soon, not because I was listening for it, but because it was so easy for me to pick up, it started turning up everywhere. I'd say, in the last thirteen years, I've heard it at least 25 times in different forms of media (movies, commercials, TV shows, etc.) It's like they've got this default "crowd cheering" button in the standard Hollywood studio that they press when the time is right, and I find it hilarious that it's this exact one so many times. This would be much better if I could find a clip of an actual home run from the video game to hear it clearly, but I can't, so here it is in this Corona commercial, the latest example I have stumbled across. It's at the 24 second mark, although it's tough to hear the "gone!" part at the end, which really ties it all together for me.






Keep your ears open, and you'll hear this generic cheer everywhere and it will drive you crazy enough to write 350 words about it. Or don't. Whatever, really. I don't even care anymore. Shit, I'm hungover. Drinking 45 beers in a two-day camping trip will do that, I guess.