Friday, January 21, 2011

Snow Day

I don't know if it gets much better than a snow day. Yesterday was an equal mix of being productive (waking up at a decent hour, getting after shoveling right away, doing a little cleaning around the house) and being a piece of shit (watching Inception for like the 10th time in 20 days; starting a season in Tecmo Super Bowl and running for 703 yards in one game with Ricky Watters.) I hadn't had a snow day in years and years. I could be wrong on this, but I don't remember ever having one in college-- at least not an official one. I know there were plenty of days when we'd look outside the window in the morning and say fuck it, we're not going out in that, fire up the Playstation and grab me a beer. Did we ever have an official one though? All I can remember are the days when the National Weather Service would announce that it was unsafe to be outside for more than 5 minutes, and yet we'd find ourselves trudging through the snowbanks on our way to Gamble Hall because classes weren't cancelled. Maybe if Weisser and I would have ever finished our designs for the catapult system to get to classes, it wouldn't have been so bad. The preliminaries weren't bad, all the logistics were figured out. That's the hard part in a complicated catapult transportation schematic, really.

Also, I think I have the best-looking driveway in Lawrence right now. Jillian put some snow melt down before it started snowing (pro move. PRO MOVE) and I showed a lot of hustle, shoveling once in the middle of the storm, and once after it was done, and now it's bone dry. Seriously, it looks like there was a protective dome that covered just our driveway and sidewalk. I'm pretty proud of it. When I finished shoveling and looked up and down the block at all the shitty jobs performed by (presumably) Kansas natives, I gave a big Kevin Garnett-style "Anything's possible!!!!!!"


*********************

It's time to ride or die with the Green Bay Packers and my new boy, Aaron Rodgers. (Once I start making homoerotic jokes about an athlete like I have been with Rodgers the last few weeks, he's officially my boy. And I seriously will give him a handjob if he's ever in the area, I owe him that much.) I was in love with Green Bay while making my preseason bets, then kinda jumped off the bandwagon in the middle of the year when they struggled and Chicago took control of the division. Late in the year and in the playoffs I've been banging them kinda hard again, then the other day I remembered I got them at 9-1 to win the conference before the season started. So among other bets, we've got that in play Sunday. I was a little bit sauced last weekend, plus I was pretty hyped up as we watched Rodgers torch Atlanta, and I told everyone that if Green Bay goes to the Super Bowl, I'm taking part of my winnings and paying for a night of drinking for the whole crew. There's no way I'm keeping my word on that, everyone knows drunk talk doesn't count.

Doo, doot, da doo doo doot.....Go Pack, Go! (I've always loved that little tune, even though I've never really been a Packers fan.)