Friday, February 19, 2010

The Internet Giveth

This is mostly just a link for me, it's something I've been searching for on the interwebs for almost a couple years now. Not gonna be real awesome for anyone else, but terrific for me and maybe a few others. I'm pretty sure this was Cole Aldrich's first time talking to the media, and it showed. He can barely hammer out a sentence without using the word "tenacious" to describe Tyler Hansbrough, and after listening to him, the accents in the movie Fargo don't seem so ridiculous (Cole is from Minneapolis.) The best parts are when they pan out to show the whole table, and Darnell Jackson and Brandon Rush are valiantly trying not to laugh at how stupid Cole sounds. Then, when they finish with questions and stand up to leave, they finally make eye contact and start laughing and saying "Tenacious. Just tenacious." I guarantee Cole got made fun of for weeks after that.

I don't know why I'm describing the video, the only person who might click the link is Schneweis, who has already seen it as much as I have. But whatevs.


Post-game press conference from KU/UNC


To make it up to you, and in honor of Tiger Woods making his first public appearance since The Incident, I was gonna link to one of my top 5 SNL skits of all time, the one from right after Tiger burst on the scene by winning The Masters in 1997......but apparently it doesn't exist. The internet taketh away. I found a transcript of the skit, but it's not nearly as funny without hearing Tim Meadows try and talk with his huge fake teeth in, and Tracy Morgan not even trying to do an accurate impression of Tiger's dad. (To this day, I still love saying "Gee thanks, Gandhi" whenever I'm being sarcastic, and nobody ever knows what I'm referencing.) Rest assured, if youtube existed in 1997, I would've watched that skit 20 times a day for a month.




While I was digging for the video, I also found a listing of all the skits from that night's SNL, and it was ridiculous. Pamela Anderson hosted, she was probably at the peak of her hotness back then. Remember Goat Boy by Jim Bruer? Those were pretty awesome when I was 14 years old. And the Roxbury skits were just coming into their own too. A Will Ferrel as Janet Reno skit, the Spartan cheerleaders, the Ambiguously Gay Duo's safety tips (just stick it in, and don't play around with it!) Norm McDonald doing Larry King....what an unbelievable episode. It aired on April 19th, 1997- also the day that the flood crushed Grand Forks (I remember watching it at our family friend's house on the Air Force Base after we got evacuated) and the very first day of my "staying up until at least midnight" streak. April 19, 1997. What a turning point in my life. OK I'm babbling.

I haven't quite been doing a No-Fun February like I did last year, but I have kinda been in Minimal-Fun February mode (minus the Colorado trip, so I guess this sentence is pretty much a lie.) That changes tonight. I forsee an evening of Bill Raftery jokes being tossed around, Lane and I sporting our North/South Cup thrift store suit jackets, and $15 worth of Michael Jackson on the jukebox. Noddin' my head like yeah, movin' my hips like yeah. That's an MJ song, right?

Happy Friday.