Friday, November 20, 2009

Dear ESPN Classic,

Please stop your marathon of college basketball games from the 1990's. You know that watching old games from my childhood is my soft spot- and normally I'd be appreciative of it- but we've got a brand-new season going on here! How am I supposed to pay attention to the current season when you're throwing this at me at the same time? I'm supposed to be researching games for gambling purposes- how will I know if UCLA really is this terrible this year if I'm too busy watching Allen Iverson and Georgetown vs. Jason Terry and Arizona in the 1996 preseason NIT championship? I can't tell if Gonzaga is for real, or if Michigan St. just played shitty, because I missed half the game when I realized that I could be watching the 1995 Duke/North Carolina game at Cameron Indoor. Jeff Capel hits a half-courter to send it to double overtime! Like I'm flicking away from that. Were all of Kentucky's freshmen just nervous for their first game, and is that why they almost lost to Miami of Ohio (sans Wally Sczerbiak)? I'm not sure, but I'll tell you what, look out for Michigan's 1992 freshman class. Chris Webber, Jalen Rose, Jimmy King, Juwan Howard, Ray Jackson? Lot of talent there.

I should give you some props; you did help me out one way. You quickly took my mind off how KU's shitfest against Memphis the other night was the worst-played KU game since 2005. Didn't take long for me to remember how much I hate having the preseason #1 ranking.

But still- if skipping the second half of the Liberty/Clemson game because I didn't want to risk missing Darvin Ham shattering the backboard against Carolina in the NCAA tournament ends up costing me money later in the season, I'm gonna blame you. (Yeah, I could've just watched it online, but it's so much better live.)

Sincerely,

Your Boy


{Happy Friday. There is a very real possibility that I'm still hungover from last Saturday's 8am-2am drinking clinic that Gangel and I put on (apparently we didn't get the memo that it wasn't Springfest) so you can find me at home all weekend. Watching college basketball.}