Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Hello Poochie. You Look Like You Have Something To Say. Do You?


Yes, I certainly do.

>> Please congratulate both myself and the Boston Red Sox, your MLB: The Show World Champions. 162 regular season games, a three-game sweep of the Texas Rangers in the ALDS, a closer-than-it-sounds 5-game dispatching of Detroit in the ALCS, and a 6-game triumph over Arizona in the World Series, three games went into extra innigs, Jonathan Papelbon blew two saves, and J.D. Drew hit a walk-off two-run double in Game 6 to set off a wild celebration in both downtown Boston and Apartment A2 in the Westwood apartment complex in Lawrence, KS.

>> The last few months I've been wrestling around with the exact order of my Funniest TV Shows, Non-Animated Division. The Office has pretty much had a stranglehold on the top spot for a couple years now, but It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is making a strong, strong push for the crown. How I Met Your Mother is definitely in the mix, and Arrested Development is down another level, but still comfortably in 4th (it gets hurt because it won't ever have another season released, but word on the street is that they're making a movie, so maybe it can make a jump then.) Anyway, I never watch the seasons live, I just wait until the DVDs come out and rip through the entire season at once (a couple times for It's Always Sunny.) And as luck would have it, the DVDs of all three shows' latest seasons have either been released last week or is being released next week, so it's gonna be a big, BIG month for my top 5. I hope you're as excited as I am. I also borrowed the entire series of Rescue Me from DVJS, and have started dabbling in 30 Rock via hulu. Both are solid shows; 30 Rock, at this point, has a slight chance to crack the top 5 eventually.

>> One of the traditions among the golf course employees is Crappy Song Friday, where we all pick one brutal song and rock it on youtube. But there's a definite pattern developing: one of the other guys (or girls, when we let the beer cart girls in on the fun- which is rare because men built the Eiffel Tower out of metal and brawn, and women have a brain 1/3 the size of ours) will pick a song, and as its playing, everyone will laugh about how shitty that song is. Then it quiets down and I'll softly admit that said song is in my top 25 most played on my ipod, and then I become the butt of the joke. The latest example: 'Return of the Mack' by Mark Morrison. I end up listening to this song all the time for multiple reasons: it was popular around the same time as the Flood of '97, so it gets nostalgia points**, it's fun to sing along to, and the background lyrics are borderline hysterical to my delicate sense of humor (the best parts are when he passionately screams "Oh my gaaaaaaaa!" during the chorus.) What a song.

**Other Flood Songs, off the top of my head: 'The Freshman' by Verve Pipe; 'Hypnotize' by Notorious BIG; 'Firestarter' by Prodigy; 'MMMBop' by Hanson; 'Wannabe' by The Spice Girls; 'No Diggity' by BLACKstreet; 'Pony' by Ginuwine, 'Your Woman' by White Town. One might say that 1997 wasn't exactly a banner year for American music.