Thursday, June 11, 2009

Holla Holla Holla Holla Holla Hollaaaaa

>> Brother and his buddy Jeffrey were in town the other day, stopping in Lawrence on their voyage from Phoenix up to Grand Forks. And for the first time in Brother's Day history, he has given me a gift: a Navajo blanket that he picked up at an Indian Tradepost somewhere in New Mexico. It smells like a mix of Big Chief Tobacco, beef jerky sticks, and urinal cakes. Even though it's a little bit late, I'll take it. For those of you that were asking, THAT is the perfect embodiment of what a Brother's Day gift is supposed to be.


>> It appears as though I'm headed back to Omaha for the College World Series this weekend. After last year's inexplicable catastrophe (it's pretty tough to pull off a seven-hour functioning blackout in a strange town, especially after you ditch the only person you came with) I'm approaching this weekend with the same amount of respect and fear as the Wet Bandits approaching Macaulay Culkin in Home Alone 2.


Let's learn from last time, boys. Caution is the name of the game.



>> I have heard a crazy, CRAZY amount of hype for this Hangover movie, so as soon as I get a chance, I will be attending it. I was planning on seeing it anyway, mostly because Zach Galifianakis and Ed Helms are the shit, but I figured that it was probably one of those movies where all the funny parts are in the previews, so I wasn't real geared up for it. However, I can't remember the last time so many people have recommended a movie so vehemently, especially people whose opinion on movies I take seriously. So everyone can relax, I am going to see it soon. If all you chucklehouses over-hyped it and ruined it for me, I'll never forgive you.

(Side note: to all the people who told me I should see it because "you're totally gonna want to go to Vegas afterwards"....while I appreciate the thought, it's completely unnecessary. That's like telling a fat kid that if he sits in the Dairy Queen parking lot for 90 minutes, he's gonna want an extra large Oreo Blizzard. Of COURSE I'm gonna want to go to Vegas after watching this movie. It's tough for me to find a movie that doesn't make me want to go to Vegas immediately afterwards. I was watching Titanic on TV the other day, and during the part where Jack is making Rose promise to never give up, promise me, Rose, and never let go of that promise, all I could think about was playing blackjack at New York, New York while I double-fisted Margaritas by the Yard. Movies like The Hangover or Ocean's Eleven basically give me the shakes.**)



** To shed light on a gambling problem, please call the National Problem Gambling Hotline at 1-800-522-4700