Monday, May 4, 2009

This Romeo Is Bleeding....But You Can't See His Blood

As per usual after I return from a major weekend, I desperately need to take a couple days to detox/collect my thoughts/rebuild the mental strength necessary to organize my thoughts into a semi-coherent post....but let's just skip the part where everyone yells at me to hurry up and update. Here, read about last year.

I'd also like to apologize to almost everyone who either called or texted on Saturday afternoon; apparently reception was shitty for me this year. I didn't have any problems last year during the races, but I noticed about halfway through the day this year that I had barely received any texties from anyone all day. Despite my feelings being absolutely crushed by the apparent lack of concern from my so-called friends, I shook it off and enjoyed my day (traumatic, I know.) Then, starting the minute we got back to our tailgating spot, my phone started vibrating. It lasted for about 20 minutes straight, and then sporadically continued throughout the rest of the night and into Sunday afternoon. Just texty after texty, all sent during the races on Saturday. So my apologies to anyone who may have thought I was being too cool for school and ignoring them. That's not how I roll.

I'm extremely grateful that there is a Red Sox/Yankees game on TV tonight to help me through my coming down process. The crash after Derby weekend isn't as severe physically as coming back from Vegas, but it's just as depressing emotionally. One of Jonye's favorite Culligan memories of me is the morning after a Vegas trip. He was on his way out the door going to work, and I'm still sitting there on the couch from the night before, eyes completely glazed over, double-fisting 24 oz. cans of Amp energy drink and watching Richie Rich on TBS.

Similarly, last night I sat and watched Down to Earth in its entirety without making a facial expression (although I might have twitched a mouth muscle when Chris Rock dresses up in golf clothes and slides across the floor saying "Tiger Tiger Tiger Woods y'all"....it's funny because black people are different than white people.) I spent the commercial breaks reading a road atlas, only moving off the couch to stare at the lack of food in the fridge, and wishing I would've gotten a couple extra burritos at Chipotle earlier.

So yeah, it's pretty rough right now. If I were to update my facebook status, it would definitely have a few frowny faces tacked on the end. Don't be surprised if after the game tonight, I'm attempting to make homemade mint juleps and gambling on computer-controlled races for Super Mario Kart.



My $10 exacta box for Koopa Troopa and Yoshi finishing 1-2 in the Mushroom Cup looks promising right now.


On a side note, congrats to Z-Unit and Tara, whose wedding I missed this last weekend due to being in Louisville. I would've bought you a more expensive gift if Freisan Fire hadn't taken 18th fucking place on Saturday. Dammit.