Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I Can't Talk To My Mother So I Talk To My Diary

>> Lawrence is a dangerous city for me. I don't mean that literally; I'm generally able to act however I want, without fear of getting beat up for my lunch money. (Although I should mention....apparently Alex had to slap some old dude in the face on Friday night after he groped her at Sandbar. I would've stepped in for her, but at that moment in time I was waiting in line outside on the sidewalk, double-fisting beers I had smuggled into the street from a different bar, and hitting on a couple of girls on behalf of my buddy Andy, who was inside. Who says chivalry is dead?)

What I mean is that Lawrence is dangerous for me in a fiscal sense. In the past, when we'd drive down here once a year to attend a game, I would unload my wallet and buy all my KU crap in one big spendfest. Now, it's like every time I go to the grocery store to stock up on Hot Pockets, I see something KU-related to waste money on. "Hammen, what's with all the bags? I thought you were just picking up triple-A batteries?"..."Well, yeah, but...then I saw these KU beer mugs, pretty awesome...and, well, I know we don't actually OWN a grill yet, but when we do, we'll have a nice Jayhawk grill cover....ahhh dammit." If I continue at the rate I'm currently going, the entire apartment is going to look like one of those fake bedrooms that they put in sports memorabilia catalogs.

So anyway, I'm at this little shop downtown, picking up a $100 scoreboard clock (yes, a scoreboard clock. For our living room. That right there about sums up this entire paragraph, not to mention my entire life) and I see one of those panoramic photos that uses a special lense to show the entire Fieldhouse crowd at once during last year's KU/Missouri game. So I pick it up, scan it for awhile, find myself in the crowd....ipso facto, I have to buy it. Nevermind that I don't have a frame for it, I don't really have anywhere to hang it, and I sure as hell don't need it- shit dude, you can see ME in it, so let's throw it on the credit card. I get airline miles for this purchase anyway bro, it's all good.

It was surprisingly easy to find me in the crowd, too. I remembered what I was wearing and roughly where I was sitting, which helped...but the clincher is that the photo is being taken while Tyshawn Taylor is launching a 3, so I immediately knew what to look for: me doing this. And sure enough, amidst a sea of people who are mostly sitting down, you can see me standing up with my arm stretched to the sky. Don't let anyone ever tell you that going to a basketball game by yourself isn't awesome.


>> There a couple new additions to the links. I almost hesitate to mention them, since the Batting Order is now littered with people whose blogging careers were shorter than Jessie Spano's drug addiction. However, I have high hopes that both of these blogs will be superb in both quality and quantity.

The first addition is Rocko. She is best known as Chelsey's old roommate from the Minneapolis days....aka the days of "Heyyyy, I've got a flight leaving out of Minneapolis tomorrow, so can I drive down today, get us all hammered, crash on your couch, and have you drive me to the airport at 6 am? kthxbye!" And she also happens to be hilarious. Hopefully Rocko doesn't quit blogging like some of the other drop-outs who have disappointed me so very, very much (when Dunph said he had a "Daily Attitude Problem" apparently he meant that this one day in 2006 he had a problem, and then this other day he had another one....and he wrote about both of them.)

Also, our resident music expert Schneweis has started an insightful music blog, Pacing The Cage, which is pretty beneficial for music recommendations. Nobody has provided me with more new music in my life** than Schne, and for this I am eternally grateful. Give him a look.



**I should clarify and say music that I enjoy- one time, I stole a homeless person's entire CD collection that he was selling on the street corner, but it was mostly just tribal music, or poetry being read aloud with bongos and shit in the background, so it pretty much sucked. Hey man, if you don't want your stuff to get jacked, don't ask strangers to watch it for you while you go piss behind the 7-11. You, of all people, should know that.