Monday, April 27, 2009

And She Runs Through Her Days....With A Smile On Her Face

I usually don't write very in-depth about music; partly because we have plenty of other people in our corner of the blogosphere who can do it better- and also because for the most part it would go something like this:

Soooo have you guys heard that new Spice Girls CD? Pretty awesome, right? I think my favorite is Baby Spice. She just seems so innocent, you know? Like, Posh is definitely hotter, but she seems like kind of a bitch. I feel like if I bumped into Baby Spice in a coffee shop and everything kinda fell into place, I could totally get her number. And Scary Spice has some real nice boobies- and I'm totally not just saying that because of my moderate obsession with black girls. Oh yeah, their music is pretty sweet too. Lyrical geniuses, those Spice Girls. Fo' reals.


However, I would be remiss if I did not mention the hold that the song 'Tyler' by The Toadies** has on me right now. Despite the fact that this song came out in like 1994, I hadn't heard it until around November of last year- or at least, if I had heard it previously, it didn't stick with me. The latter scenario seems unlikely, because the very first time I played it after loading into my iPod, I was absolutely transfixed. This song found a nice comfy spot in my brain, settled in, and it's been there ever since.

I'm not usually one for listening to a song on repeat, but on a couple occasions I've listened to this song a handful of times in a row, only stopping because I'm desperately afraid of burning myself out on it. Even though I just downloaded it in November, it's already at the #18 spot in my top 25 most played list on iTunes, which goes back nearly three years.

It's also one of those songs that magically sounds better after you've had a couple of beers (especially cans of PBR.) Maybe it's the soul-searching guitar riff; maybe it's the creepy lyrics that detail a rapist's inner monologue in the days and minutes leading up to his crime; but in any event, it all combines with a gentle buzz to create the perfect level of romanticism needed for a good gettin' drunk song. I'm practically hypnotized when I listen to it. Beyond that, it's in that rare group of songs that actually makes me feel like immdeiately grabbing a 30 pack, plopping down in a lawn chair, and just getting absolutely crushed every time I hear it. This song went straight into my playlist appropriately named 'Of Course I'm Drunk, You Asshole.' Seriously, if I knew of this song when we still lived in Culligan and had the roof to sit out on, I would already be 4 months deep into a massive alcohol problem.

Bergman and I have talked about this at length over the years, so I know his answer is going to be 'Mexico' by James Taylor, but the Question of the Day is: what song(s) make you just want to kick back on a warm summer evening and get sauced?


**Editor's note: for those of you whose curiousity I've piqued enough to click the link and watch the video, I ask you to do your best to ignore the video and just listen to the song. I just watched it for the first time here tonight, and it might be the worst video I've ever seen. Seriously. I wish I could go back and unwatch it in my mind. I have the same look on my face as after the first time I saw Two Girls, One Cup (only this time I don't have an unexpected erection.)