Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Message Behind The Message

The following is a realization I just had. It had been sitting there in front of me for a long time now, but it took until today to officially confirm it.

I could never watch a minute of another Kansas basketball game for the rest of my life, and I would still have a pretty decent idea of how that particular season was going, due entirely to the texties I get during and/or shortly after games. I'm not talking about what the messages say (because then obviously I would know how the games were going, and this post would be a complete waste of time. Well, MORE of a waste of time, I should say.) I'm talking about who they're from. All I would need to see is the little name on the little envelope on the front of my phone, and I'd have my update. Here's how it breaks down:


Texty from Kos: game has just started, and happens to be televised in Chicago

Texty from Schneweis, Kyle, or Lane: random in-game chatter/KU won

Texty from Fundy: either a really good win or a really tough loss for KU

Texty from Dunph, Jonye, or Bergman: KU lost

Texty from Dunph within 5 seconds of the final buzzer: KU lost to a shitty team

Texty from all my friends who are college basketball fans; family members; a bunch of girls who normally don't follow college basketball; or a girl who I made out with in Los Angeles a few years ago and hadn't talked to since St. Patty's Day 2006 because she drove to Vegas to meet up and I inadvertantly ditched her- my bad, I thought our flight left the NEXT day: KU won the national championship.