Thursday, February 19, 2009

What's The Question Du Jour? It's The Question Of The Day.

Perhaps the greatest thing about The Boards is the random-ass topics of discussion we stumble into, and the amount of time we spend arguing about trivial subjects-- which is one of my favorite activities, just ahead of "seeing how many chili cheese wraps I can eat in one sitting until I can feel my heart start to beat irregularly" but a notch below "watching and re-watching the scene in Anchorman where Veronica Corningstone shows a little sideboob, and trying to convince myself that I can see part of her nipple."

A lot of the time we're arguing about college basketball, although lately (unfortunately for me) there's been quite a bit of politics talk. And the sides are always different; sometimes it's me and Horp vs. Noles and Jonye, sometimes it's me and Noles vs. Horp and Jonye, sometimes it's one person against the other three (in which case, the majority just beats down the lone wolf's argument until it degenerates into a barrage of "Boom Roasted" jokes.) If it's about politics, it's usually Noles and Jonye vs. Horp, while I'm busy googling words like "Democrat", "Republican", and "Congress" so I can follow the conversation.

Anyway, a couple days ago the movie Top Gun was our topic of discussion. Noles and Horp are of the opinion that it is a straight-up awesome movie. Jonye and I, on the other hand, think it's only awesome because it's so unintentionally ridiculous and homoerotic. I'll watch it every time it's on TV, since it's kind of a guilty pleasure, but I would never plunk down the $15 to own the DVD.

Various arguments were bandied about, with both sides making good points, which I won't mention so as to avoid influencing anyone's opinion. We're deadlocked at 2-2, so now we're turning it over to you.

Assuming you like Top Gun (and let's be honest, who doesn't?) do you like it because you think it's badass and a legitimately good movie, or do you like it because it's stupid, but a guilty pleasure?



Is this an intense, well-acted scene that signifies a turning point in the rivalry between Iceman and Maverick? Or is it just super gay?