Monday, February 2, 2009

No-Fun February

>> Well I got what I wanted out of the Super Bowl last night. That was one of the most exciting games of my lifetime, if not THE most exciting. After a couple of really boring Super Bowls in a row, we've now had two straight instant classics, and for that we should be thankful (unless you're a New England or Arizona fan.) Arizona's comeback ruined a few of our prop bets, but I'll gladly trade that in exchange for an exciting game. Plus we hit the one I really wanted to win: taking the over on the national anthem for 2 minutes, 3 seconds. You haven't gambled until you're having serious discussions about how the x-factor of the song is "and the rocket's red glare" and you find yourself standing and yelling at Jennifer Hudson to savor the moment and elongate her notes. Remember, it's not a gambling problem unless you're losing.

>> In general, I'm happy with the new era of my life when it comes to watching Super Bowls. It was just a small group of Alex, Lane, Skye, Skye's unborn fetus, DVJS and myself watching last night (Lane and I having some beers and absolutely destroying the amazing taco bar as well. My biggest regret is that I didn't weigh myself at the beginning of the night, because I bet I gained 4 pounds.) As my college years progressed, the Super Bowl became less about the game, and more about partying, which is somewhat disappointing because I really do like to actually watch the game. Everything crested in 2005, when we had a kegger at Culligan Manor and I blacked out almost the entire 4th quarter (so in my mind, Donovan McNabb is still a pretty clutch quarterback. Somewhat ironically, McNabb and I were participating in the exact same activity at almost the exact same time that evening. The difference was that I was kneeling over my toilet in my bathroom, and he was running a two-minute drill in front of 90 million people worldwide. But I digress.)

All that being said, when Ike sent a text immediately after kickoff, referencing our old Super Bowl drinking game from our college years, Lane, Skye, and I couldn't help but get a little nostalgic over it. The days of hoping for the kicker to score a touchdown so the entire party has to finish the keg and jump off the balcony are over, sadly.

>> Alex and I went and saw Gran Turino over the weekend, and it was fannnnntastic. I highly recommend it to everyone. I'm sure I would've enjoyed it even more if I hadn't been distracted by some unusual circumstances. Towards the end of the previews, I happened to see a mouse come running up the aisle to snatch a piece of fallen popcorn right in front of me. Luckily, we were in the front row of the elevated seats, and I was somewhat confident that the mouse couldn't climb stairs, or else I would've COMPLETELY LOST MY SHIT. I am absolutely terrified of mice/rats, I don't care who knows it. I had to play the role of the man, since Alex is just a woman with a brain 1/3 the size of mine (it's science) but on the inside I was totally freaking out. The mouse grabbed the popcorn, and scurried back to the shadows from whence he came, but I spent the next two hours glancing over to his corner, waiting for him to come running out again. That's the thing about mouse attacks....they come when you least expect it.

>> The last couple months or so, I have been doing an inordinate amount of traveling, drinking, and general douchebaggering, and now I'm completely worn out, just in time for tax season- "What we, in the biz, call crunch time."*** I am officially announcing the upcoming 28 days to be No-Fun February. I will attempt to lay low and stay out of trouble the entire month. This will be difficult because, as I recently mentioned, I say yes to anything and everything. So while I will not necessarily be instigating any shenanigans personally, shenanigans may still find their way to me.

>> Lastly, as you may or may not be aware, February is Black History Month. Celebrate accordingly.


***Just so everyone is following me on this one, that is a quote from The Break Up. I kinda figured that most people already knew this, but a couple weeks ago I pulled out that line, and everyone looked at me like I was the biggest douche on the planet. So now I have to spell it out for people, because it's one of those lines where if you're not quoting a movie, you really ARE the biggest douche on the planet.