Monday, July 28, 2008

I Am Easily Swayed

I am on record as saying that although I love video games, it would be a long time before I upgraded from my Playstation 2, because quote "I don't need video games to be any more real than they already are." Hell, my Sega Genesis still gets semi-regular use (I just won the Stanley Cup with the San Jose Sharks in NHL '94, glad you asked.)

Then a little while ago Lane bought a Playstation 3, and I went over there to play MLB '08. I was smitten pretty quick. Sammy Sosa would play this game and exclaim, "It's so reeeeeal!" When you walk into Lane's living room and glance at the TV, you can't tell if it's a real game or a video game on the TV. Since it's hooked up to the internet, there is a live ticker rolling across the bottom of the screen, with real scores. I begin pondering asking for a PS3 for Christmas. Lane and I play as the Red Sox, vs. the Yankees at Fenway. Johnny Damon comes up to bat and the virtual crowd boos him mercilessly and I giggle. The virtual crowd chants 'Youuuuuuk' when Kevin Youkilis comes up to bat, and I giggle some more. I am thoroughly enjoying how ridiculous this game is. We end up playing and boozing until about 2 in the morning. After seeing how much I loved this game, Lane predicted that I would buy a PS3 by the end of August.

Long story short, the PS3 I bought on ebay arrived this weekend.