Monday, December 10, 2007

See You In A Couple Yearz

Michael Vick received a 23-month jail sentence today, hopefully putting a much-needed end to the relentless stories about the whole subject.

A couple of disclaimers before this next section:

a) I am in no way saying that dogfighting is OK. Obviously it's terrible.
b) I enjoy eating the foods that people hunt: deer, pheasant, duck, etc. I also like other meats as much as the next guy. More, actually. Unless the next guy happens to be Kobayashi.

I would like to think that if I put my mind to it, I could also eat 53.75 hot dogs in 12 minutes. It's all mental toughness.

But seriously, every reporter who crucifies Vick, then goes home and enjoys a juicy bacon double cheeseburger; and Joe Everyman from Rugby, North Dakota, who talks shit about Vick, then grabs his shotgun or bow and goes and shoots animals every single weekend from September through November, can all just settle down a little bit. I say that besides the ridiculously inhumane way Vick and others kill the dogs who can't fight, (electrocutions, repeated beatings over the head) what's the difference between a dogfighter and the owner and operator of a slaughterhouse? Or a gun club? The bottom line is that they all grossly mistreat animals for profit and/or personal enjoyment. I think it's crazy that Vick has become public enemy #1. My point, if I have one, is that I know what Vick did is wrong, but he shouldn't have to hear about it from deer hunters and McDonald's lovers. That's like O.J. Simpson lecturing the Unabomber.

Now that I've climbed down from my high horse, I'd like to say that the funniest thing I've heard all day was that Vick's dogfighting organization was named "Bad Newz Kennels." Awesome. Just awesome. That reminds me of the Native American basketball team we always use to go up against, named the "Rez Ballaz." Anytime I see z's used in place of s's, well, it just....I guess it just puts a hop in my step for the rest of the day. It doesn't get much more street than that. Kudos to you, Michael.

In a completely unrelated story, I caught up with an old friend last weekend: the Phog Allen Fieldhouse. It was my first trip there in almost three years, Alex's first trip ever, and KU obliged by putting on an absolute dunk clinic while avenging last year's loss to DePaul. After a largely lackluster (although undefeated) start to the season, it looks as though the boys are starting to put things together offensively. Brandon Rush, overcoming legal trouble,continues to get closer to 100% every game, the clutch shooting is improving by leaps and bounds, and Darnell Jackson moved one step closer to becoming the next Jayhawk on my wall of fame. An induction ceremony is expected soon.